Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM Diorama about Serre, Somme

burlington

I will probaby be shot down in flames over this but here goes.

There is a Diorama in the WW1 section of the Imperial War Museum. This shows the advance from the trenches on 1.7.1916 in front of Mathew Copse at Serre.

Now, there are 2 points which bug me. Firstly, in the Diorama, the view shows the village of Serre being far to the RIGHT of the line of advance. I always read the maps as though was to the front or to the left of the advance.

Secondly, the view from the image is that the troops advanced over level or even maybe slightly sloping downwards ground rather than the reverse. Again, maps seem to show differently.

My only excuse is that I am not a good map reader!

What do you think about my propositions?

Martin

The troops had to advance up a hill to Serre. Attached is a map with the 10 m contours marked. You can see that Serre is on a 'hill'. Matthew Copse lies just to the west of the village.

Robert

post-1473-1114204998.jpg

Robert

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

I wonder why the Diorama is so inaccurate, and has been allowed to stay as such . After all, many 000's of people must see it every year.

Martin

The troops had to advance up a hill to Serre.  Attached is a map with the 10 m contours marked.  You can see that Serre is on a 'hill'.  Matthew Copse lies just to the west of the village.

Not much of a "hill" though! Matthew Copse is actually almost in the centre of a very shallow basin with the "dip" shown on the above map being to it's south. Another 140m contour isn't all that far behind the copse, making it so that troops advancing from the Matthew Copse area towards Serre had to climb a very slight incline that was almost flat (although there are dips and rises in the land between that aren't shown on the 1:10,000 trench maps). Basically (if memory serves me correctly), to reach Serre from Matthew Copse, they would have had to walk up a slight incline, then drop down about 5 meters over a 100m or so before having to climb again.

Dave.

This is the 'wee window' in the WW1 section? Surrounded by trench signs etc?

Always stop at this point when I'm visiting ... also noticed it has great effect on Americasn visitors.

Just an observation.

Des - good question by the way!

I was careful to put 'hill' in quotes. Although, generally speaking, the ground on the Somme battlefield is gently undulating, it is impressive to see the extent to which the crests play a significant role in limiting views to the rear. It really struck me when I walked the path that my Grandfather would have taken - up and over the crest that runs from High Wood to Delville Wood.

Robert

This is the 'wee window' in the WW1 section? Surrounded by trench signs etc?

Always stop at this point when I'm visiting ... also noticed it has great effect on Americasn visitors.

Yes that's it. I always stop there as well.

Yes that's it. I always stop there as well.

The one with the cotton wool for smoke. :)

BTW, I don't think this diorama or many others of it's type were ever meant to be 100% acurate. Just an insight.

Always stop at this point when I'm visiting ... also noticed it has great effect on Americasn visitors. Just an observation.

Actually great question Des. In fact in Feb when I was over there Trenchie, Doogal, and I (one of those American visitors) were caught by the diorama and quickly caught the inaccuracies. Unfortunately I did not get a picture, but as I recall not only are the British forces on the crest of the hill, but there is a double line of troops marching in the open just behind the ridge. The inaccuracies were almost a pop quiz for us WWI geeks.

It was interesting to see the landscape, but a more accurate portrayal might make the effect even greater. Andy