Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry Horses - How Much Exercise?

PhilB

The bolting of the cavalry horses in London this week has prompted some to blame lack of exercise (and unnatural living conditions) for their behaviour. How much exercise should a horse of that type get and did WW1 horses get treatment differing significantly in that respect?

Horses can be very unpredictable and are easily spooked no matter how well 'trained' they are. It was unfortunate in this case that, when they were spooked, they threw their riders and so there was no stopping them after that. A horse's natural tendency is to run away as fast as they can when frightened by something. I learned along time ago that when our horse gets spooked, to simply get out of the way and let them get on with it! I don't think the level of exercise really comes into it! That all said, I'm sure a WW1 military horse used to the sound of battle would not have been spooked by some London builders!

Phil,

I can't help with respect to horses, however as I recollect from previous research, a British pack mule in 1915 was (when not otherwise working) expected to be exercised for at least two hours per day.

regards, Michael 

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

That all said, I'm sure a WW1 military horse used to the sound of battle would not have been spooked by some London builders!

My horsey friends tell me that this is probably the time when horses are most easily spooked having been cooped up for most of the winter and wet, cold spring.

This article [ https://www.forces.net/services/army/household-cavalry-inside-regiment-exercises-150-horses-every-day-londons-streets ] suggests that there is 1 hour's exercise (07:00-08:00) in the morning. However, it is not clear if that is all of the exercise which is provided during the day 
Quote:- 
Getting out there at 7 o'clock while most people were still sleeping, riding along the King's Road or through Battersea Park in my Number Two dress (mounted) just as the sun came up. It felt like a perk of the job.
Which of course it was.
But it is also a vital activity for the horses, ensuring they get the exercise and stimulation needed for them to be able to conduct state ceremonial activities.
Generally speaking, the horses are back at base by 08:00 in the morning. Ordinarily, they are then fed and, finally, the soldiers themselves can go to breakfast. 

Thanks, Michael. Does the daily exercise involve any galloping or rolling? Again, my horsey friends say these are very desirable.

Knowing the area quite well (Limehouse - strictly speaking Ratcliffe, I think) where the two horses were finally caught I am impressed with their fitness.

I remember a story my aunt told me. In the twenties two big horses with "government" brands were kept in the same field as the generally well behaved horse belonging to my ancestors' family builders business. Occasionally the branded horses would take it it into their heads to charge across the field together, frightening the builders' horse.

RM

It's worth noting that the cavalry horses that escaped across London were only cantering rather than galloping and even the average horse can keep that up that gait for well over 5 miles without breaking into much of a sweat. If they had been galloping, they would have only been able to keep up that pace for just over a mile.