Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marchant F G Service No M27833

Lexus

Hi,  Could someone please clarify the medal eligibility/record for my Great Grandfather, Frederick George Willam Marchant, he served in the RN as an SRA, he was also a member of the St Johns Ambulance Brigade.  He appears to have been awarded the British War Medal although according to his service record he did not serve overseas

Attached is a montage of his medal record, an extract from his service record and some information re eligibility criteria.

Based on the eligibility criteria I believe he should have received the Victory Medal.

As always, any assistance will be very much appreciated.

NB - there are a number of posts about F G Marchant but I could not find one that answered my question

MARCHANT F G - Service No M27833.jpg

He only qualified fro thre British War medal (B) on the roll above. & the S indicates he received it.  They had to serve at sea in order to qualify for the Victory medal. 

He was a SRA (Sick Room Attendant), serving most if his time at Plymouth Hospital & just had shore service. 

The Admiralty differed from the War Office in their allowance for qualification to the British War Medal. The Admiralty granted the issue of the British War Medal to all ranks who had completed 28 days' mobilised service between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918.

54 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

He was a SRA (Sick Room Attendant)

Close but no cigar! Mobilised members of the Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve (RNASBR) (St John's) were rated as Senior Reserve Attendant (SRA) or Junior Reserve Attendant (JRA).

A History of the Royal Naval Auxillary Sick Berth Reserve - Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service - Vol 9.pdf

Edited by horatio2

Close but no cigar! Mobilised members of the Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve (RNASBR) (St John's) were rated as Senior Reserve Attendant (SRA) or Junior Reserve Attendant (JRA).

@horatio2 You are correct,  I missed the SBR.  No cigar required, I quit in '72!

Thanks to RNCVR and Horation for that Information.

In trying to decipher his postings I have scanned the service records prior and post to Marchant M27833 ,  Handwriting aside it looks like he was not alone at the time of his enlistment.  See the attached document which shows identical postings for those with service numbers M27829 to M37835.

It would appear that he enlisted in Devon and spent all of his service life there.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you

Marchant M27833 - Service Postings WW1.jpg

19 minutes ago, Lexus said:

he was not alone at the time of his enlistment.

He was one of 3,000+  RNASBR men mobilised by the RN during WW1. If the RND is included the number rises to 6,000+.  It is no surprise to see a batch of men mobilised together for training and employment  at Plymouth.