Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers of the 15th Royal Warwickshire Regiment - Who's who?

GMB

As part of my local war project, I have been researching 2 Lt Edgar Hobson, a native of Edgbaston (who subsequently moved to Merthyr Tydfil and married here), he then joined the colours as a Private and eventually gained a battlefield commission. He unfortunately died as a POW on 20th May 1917, after being taken to Reserve Lazarette at Duren. Reports state that he was found in a shell hole with a broken leg in No Man's Land, but after a chance encounter with the last remaining family yesterday, it seems that he was actually found entangled in uncut wire after missing for a number of days following an advance on german lines. I have included a photo below.

From this chance encounter, the family had a number of amazing photos which I had never seen & will post in slower time, but one of these being a photo marked "The Officers, 15th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt, 1917"

Since I got hold of this photo I have been trying to identify who is in the picture (a tall order I know). As I am sure there are some Birmingham Pals experts on here, or people who have books on the Pals, I wondered if any of the faces stood out to anyone? I will be continuing to research but this may be the first time this photo has been seen - this photo was taken prior to 5th May 1917 as Edgar is seen in it.

In the photo I have marked the following;

Blue - this is 2 Lt Edgar Hobson (DoW 5th May 1917)

Orange - Lt Col G S Miller DSO

Red - Captain Percy Hood Hollick (KIA 9th May 1917)

Green - Major Percival Charles Edwards DCM (KIA 27th Sept 1918). I am unsure on this and have included the only picture I can find.

I have the following names from trawling through the war diary

Captain Donald Alfred Rutter (OC D Coy)

2 Lt Siddons (C Coy)

2 Lt G Hallon/Hallorn?

2 Lt WH Stone

2 Lt GW Wilson

2 Lt AF Page

If anyone has any information on the faces, that would be absolutely fantastic.

*all credit to photos to IWM (Miller), Dawn Hollick (Hollick) and De Ruvigny RoH (Edwards)

Cheers

Gavin

15th btn officer w Edgar...jpg

Hobson (002).jpg

Major PC Edwards.PNG

Capt Percy Hood Hollick.PNG

Lt Col G S Miller.PNG

I would only ever recommend using it as a starting point, but the officer establishment of the 15th Battalion in the May 1917 British Army Monthly List can be found here https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/104616848

There were delays in adding officers in, taking them off, reflecting promotions, gallantry awards, etc, and as usual for a Service Battalion there is no Padre officially on the establishment so no clues as to who the chaplain sat on the front row on the right hand end is.

Protocol would dictate that the officer sat to the Colonel's right is the Battalion Adjutant - he literally was his right hand man! That man on the picture is a Captain, which would tie up potentially with the entry in the British Army List, which shows the Adjutant as Captain F.H. Liddell, who has held the post since the 15th April 1916, although he was only promoted Captain in May 1916.

The National Archive catalogue has a MiD Card for a Captain F.H. Liddell, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. The separate MiC shows him as a Second Lieutenant when he first landed in France in November, having initially served in the ranks in the UK. Frank Horace Liddell would go on to serve on the Staff as a Major and receive the Military Cross. As an officer he had to apply for his service medals, his application being dealt with in February 1923. His contact address was then given as 109 Kingsbury Road, Erdington, Birmingham.

The Imperial War Museum has one picture tagged with his name but it does not include him. It's dated June 1916 when he was still serving with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=&filters[collectionString][F H LIDDELL (MAJOR)]=on

He served with the Staffordshire Home Guard as Commanding Officer in World War 2, and a website dedicated to that unit has a letter from his commanding officer from Frank's time with the 15th Battalion, Colin Harding, (who is not the man pictured here but was in command at the time of the Somme). The letter was from the mid-1930's and Colin Harding had just published a book "Far Bugles" about his wartime experiences. There is an extended extract on the website which mentions other officers of the 15th Battalion as well as Liddell.
There is a picture as well of Frank Horace Liddell as a Staff Officer later in the war - possibly from his time on the Staff of the 17th Division. http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences119BShropshireLiddell.htm

Apparently Far Bugles can be read free of charge on Google Books. https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Far_Bugles/lzpCAAAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PP7&printsec=frontcover

I don't have subscription access to Ancestry or FindMyPast, so limited in what I can check out. However from what can be seen in the indexing on FindMyPast for the 1921 Census of England & Wales there is a Frank Horace Liddell, born Glasgow c1887, who was recorded in a household in the Aston district of Birmingham, along with a Helen Stewart Liddell, born Glengarnock, Ayrshire, c1891. There is a likely match on the 1911 Census of England & Wales which records a Frank Horace Liddell, aged 23 and an unmarried Drapery Assistant, born Glasgow, living at 54 The Parade, Leamington, Warwickshire. This was the housegold of his widowed mother, Ada Liddell, aged 52, and a Drapers Manageress, born Bow, London. Ada states her marriage produced 3 children, of which 2 children were then still alive. The second living child was also residing with her - a 15 year old Arthur Grey Liddell, born Glasgow. On the 1901 Census of Scotland there is a likely family recorded living at Kilmarnock Road, Eastwood, East Renfrewshire. Along with an Ada, (41, born England), Frank H., (13, born Glasgow) and Arthur G., (5, born Glasgow), there is a 41 year old Frank R. Liddell, born England and working as an Advertising Agent.

The death of a 76 year old Frank Horace Liddell was registered in the Aylesbury District of Buckinghamshire in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1964. The 1964 Probate Calendar records that a Frank Horace Liddell of Garden House, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, died at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Aylesbury, on the 17th March 1964. Probate was granted to Charles Stuart Asburt, Chartered Accountant, Helen Stewart Liddell, Widow, and Ian Marshall, Advertising Copywriter.

Here's an attempt to compare the man occupying the traditional adjutant position in your picture with the staff officer picture from the Staffordshire Home Guard site. Both images are low in resolution but hopefully enough comes through to be able to make a call as to whether they are the same man.

FrankLiddellcomparisonv1.png.275afd2f90c2f0f0f248266be81cf8f2.png

No new IP is claimed for the above, and all image rights, if any, remain with the current owners.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typos

1 hour ago, GMB said:

As part of my local war project, I have been researching 2 Lt Edgar Hobson, a native of Edgbaston (who subsequently moved to Merthyr Tydfil and married here), he then joined the colours as a Private and eventually gained a battlefield commission. He unfortunately died as a POW on 20th May 1917, after being taken to Reserve Lazarette at Duren. Reports state that he was found in a shell hole with a broken leg in No Man's Land, but after a chance encounter with the last remaining family yesterday, it seems that he was actually found entangled in uncut wire after missing for a number of days following an advance on german lines. I have included a photo below.

From this chance encounter, the family had a number of amazing photos which I had never seen & will post in slower time, but one of these being a photo marked "The Officers, 15th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt, 1917"

Since I got hold of this photo I have been trying to identify who is in the picture (a tall order I know). As I am sure there are some Birmingham Pals experts on here, or people who have books on the Pals, I wondered if any of the faces stood out to anyone? I will be continuing to research but this may be the first time this photo has been seen - this photo was taken prior to 5th May 1917 as Edgar is seen in it.

In the photo I have marked the following;

Blue - this is 2 Lt Edgar Hobson (DoW 5th May 1917)

Orange - Lt Col G S Miller DSO

Red - Captain Percy Hood Hollick (KIA 9th May 1917)

Green - Major Percival Charles Edwards DCM (KIA 27th Sept 1918). I am unsure on this and have included the only picture I can find.

I have the following names from trawling through the war diary

2 Lt Siddons (C Coy)

2 Lt G Hallon/Hallorn?

2 Lt WH Stone

2 Lt GW Wilson

2 Lt AF Page

If anyone has any information on the faces, that would be absolutely fantastic.

*all credit to photos to IWM (Miller), Dawn Hollick (Hollick) and De Ruvigny RoH (Edwards)

Cheers

Gavin

15th btn officer w Edgar...jpg

Hobson (002).jpg

Major PC Edwards.PNG

Capt Percy Hood Hollick.PNG

Lt Col G S Miller.PNG

2Lt Edgar Hobson is the only officer in the group photo without collar badges, which suggests that the image might have been taken quite soon after he’d been arrived at his assigned battalion, and perhaps not yet able to procure all of his insignia.  Officer cadets did not usually wear collar badges, and so it’s probably his original officers’ pattern SD jacket from his time under training. 

IMG_3893.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

brilliant, thank you both, that is great to read.

I need to dig out my notes, but I am pretty sure that when Edgar Hobson took his commission, he was with the 15th anyway to unusually stayed with them, but obviously as a 2 Lt.

Peter - I will do some digging into the links you have sent, cheers. The two individuals look slightly different in my viewing (the ears particularly), but I know things like this are subjective & the info you have backs up he was with the 15th so what do I know! 

Such a shame that the photo isn't named - but having 4/5 is a great start within a day or so.

One query and this is where my knowledge of uniform lets me down, is there anything to read into the fact that Lt Col Miller and the individual 2 spaces to his left have the same boots on? I see that the individual to the left has no ranks on his sleeves but I assume from his shoulders he is also a potentially a Captain.......

3 hours ago, GMB said:

It would be very unlikely that a Major would be stood on the back row. Unfortunately the head in front has blocked out the area where his Distinguished Conduct Medal would be worn.

Where the relevant area of the jacket can be seen, (over the left breast pocket) it doesn't look like any of the officers present are wearing medal ribbons. That would rule out at least two of the individuals recorded in the May 1917 British Army Monthly List. - Major F.G.G. Morris has the D.S.O. while Second Lieutenant R.A. Wilton has the Military Cross.

3 hours ago, GMB said:

2 Lt Edgar Hobson (DoW 5th May 1917)

Still on probation at the time the May 1917 British Army List was produced. His seniority was dated 27th December 1916, so because of his rank almost certainly the date he was commissioned.

3 hours ago, GMB said:

Lt Col G S Miller DSO

Capatin \ Temporary Lieutenant Colonel Miller from the 4th Battalion is not shown with the Distinguished Service Order in the May 1917 British Army List. I'm not spotting a ribbon either. There is a likely MiC match for a George Swiney Miller, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He was a Captain when he first landed in France on the 8th March 1916 to serve with the 1st Battalion. Highest rank reached in a Theatre of War was Lieutenant Colonel with the 15th Battalion. Unfortunately the contact address given for his medals was his Army agent, Messrs Cox & Co.

His D.S.O. award appears on page 6495 Supplement to the London Gazette 3 June 1918, (the list starts on page 6494). https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30718/supplement/6495/data.pdf

3 hours ago, GMB said:

Captain Percy Hood Hollick (KIA 9th May 1917)

The May 1917 British Army List shows him attached from the 3rd Battalion, and a Second Lieutenant \ Acting Captain from the 30th December 1916.

3 hours ago, GMB said:

The May 1917 list shows him as a Lieutenant \ Acting Captain from the 25th January 1917.

Went out to France as a Corporal in the Norfolk Regiment, service number 12523, landing in France on the 30th May 1915, (almost certainly part of the 7th Battalion deploying overseas on that date). Commissioned in August 1915 into the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Formally applied for his medals in 1925, giving a contact address of High Street, Erdington.

If it adds anything, from the Norfolk Regiment side 12486 enlisted on the 28th August 1914, 12526 on the 27th August 1914 and 12578 on the 29th August 1914. (Yes - they are out of date order!).

3 hours ago, GMB said:

2 Lt Siddons (C Coy)

2nd Lieutenant F. C. Siddons is still shown as being on probation in the May 1917 Army List - as his date of seniority and most likely commissioning was the 20th January 1916 I suspect completion of that had been missed in the official notices.  No obvious MiC. There are Officers Long Papers for a 2nd Lieutenant Frank Cecil Siddons, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, held at the National Archive. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1107110

As an Acting Captain in the Royal Warwickshire Regimenr he appears on page 6496 of the Supplement to the London Gazette, 3 June 1918. The list begins on page 6495 and deals with the award of the Military Cross - I wonder if it relates to the same actions that saw Lieutenant Colonel Miller awarded the DSO. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30718/supplement/6496/data.pdf

A Frank Cecil Siddons, BSC, was a teacher at Boston Grammar School from 1921 to 1923. http://rosma.co.uk/mw/oba/index.php?title=Boston_Grammar_School_Staff

If the University could be identified that he attended their archive may hold pictures of him.

May be a co-incidence but the London Gazette published a notice inviting claims on the estate of a Frank Cecil Siddons, a Company Director of West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, who died on the 28th October 1968. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/44717/page/12388/data.pdf

The civil death records shows a 72 year old Frank Cecil Siddons whose death was registered in the Basford District of Nottinghamshire in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1968. There are likely matches on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses of England & Wales for a Frank C, (4) and a Frank Cecil, (14), born Leicester. On the latter he was living in the household of his married older brother, Reginald Arthur Siddons, an Education Clerk for the County Council, at 240 Narborough Road, Leicester.

4 hours ago, GMB said:

2 Lt G Hallon/Hallorn?

The May 1917 Army List has a 2nd Lieutenant G. HALLAM shown as attached from the 3rd Battalion.

There is a MiC for a George Hallam who had originally landed in France on the 14th November 1915 as 1575 Corporal in the 18th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. He was commissioned in the 3rd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment in July 1916. It looks like he honourably relinquished his commission - ther appears to be a Pension Ledger Card for him on Ancestery & Fold 3 and he was deemed eligible for the Silver War Badge on the 25th May 1918. His contact address for his medal application was his bank.

4 hours ago, GMB said:

2 Lt WH Stone

2nd Lieutenant W.H Stone was still on probation according to the May 1917 Army List, his seniority date being the 1st August 1916.

There is a MiC for a William Herbert Stone, originally who was originally 3082 Private 28th Battalion when he first landed in France on the 11th August 1915. He was released from his enlistment on the 31st July 1915 to take up a commission the next day with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Highest rank reached in a Theatre of War was Captain. He was deemed eligible for the Silver War Badge on the 11th November 1919 - unlike other ranks who automatically got them if they were discharged after they were introduced in September 1916, officers always had to apply for the badge. His contact address when he applied for his medals in April 1920 was 2097 Saratoga Avenue, Oak Bay, Victoria, British Columbia.

4 hours ago, GMB said:

2 Lt GW Wilson

On the May 1917 Monthly List with seniority from the 11th December 1915

There is a MiC for a George William Wilson, an officer in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment who was subsequently a Lieutenant in the Machine Gun. The remarks section is noted deceased. His medals were applied for in January 1926 by a Mrs. W. Wilson, but her address is c\o a bank in South Africa.

I'm not however spotting any likely candidates on CWGC.

4 hours ago, GMB said:

2 Lt AF Page

Another one on probation in the May 1917 List, 2nd Lieutenant A F Page had only been commissioned on the 7th January 1917. No obvious MiC - there nearest is an Arthur Frederick Page who had been Private 9975 in the Royal Warwickshire before being commissioned in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps. His MiC however shows his service medals issued not by the RAOC but on the Officers Roll of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Unfortunately Page is not a good search term to try to use on the likes of the London Gazette.

Hope some of that helps,
Peter

8 hours ago, GMB said:

Dawn Hollick (Hollick)

I may be mistaken, but isn't this just a crop of him from the 15th Battalion picture? No doubt done many, many years ago, and may have been the only picture the family had of him in uniform.

But the expression, pose, even the top of the walking stick are so exactly the same that it is difficult to see it being anything other than two versions of the same picture.

CaptainPercyHoodHollickcomparisonv1.png.8732816e594277dca5605712a2c2442a.png

No new IP is claimed for the above, and all image rights, if any, remain with the current owners.

Cheers,
Peter

Now you say it Peter it looks exactly the same doesn't it! As you say, can't imagine it being a coincidence.

Thanks for all of the info above, I am going to go through it this evening. 

Agree on Major Edwards not being stood as the back, that was more as that was the closest resemblance I could see. I assume it will more than likely be 2 LTs at the rear? 

Gavin

Looking at the Battalions January to May 1917 War Diary for mention of officers:-

18th January 1917. Lt. Col. G.S. Miller proceeded on leave to England. Major P.C. Edwards took over command.
January War Diary signed off by Major P.C. Edwards.

20th February 1917. Patrol consisting of 2/Lt. A.P. Hack and 7 O.R’s.
21st February 1917. Patrol consisting of 2/Lt Hack

May 1917 Army List 2nd Lieutenant A.P. Hack with seniority from the 5th August 1916.

22nd February 1917. Patrol consisting of 2/Lt A.C.Coldicott and 7 O.R’s.

May 1917 Army List 2nd Lieutenant A.C. Coldicott attached from the 3rd Battalion. There is a marker medal index card for a Captain Arden Cotterell Coldicott, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, raised to note medals not required next of kin according to the coment in the Remark Section, which is also noted that he was deceased on the 16th August 1918. He is also shown to have received the Military Cross. CWGC has him buried in Colgne Southern Cemetery, the Son of Arthur Cotterell Coldicott and Annie Coldicott, of Beaudesert, Henley-in-Arden, Birmingham. (See "Service Record of King Edward's School, Birmingham" (1920) P. 31.). https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/901177/arden-cotterell-coldicott/

There are four International Committee of the Red Cross record cards for him – wounded and missing on June 28th 1918, then with ‘A’ Company, 15th Battalion, Royak Warwickshire Regiment.
https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/188696/3/2/

Attended the King Edward’s School in Birmingham and has a mini-bio on the Schools website and low quality image – all image rights, if any, remain with that source.

CaptainArdenCotterellColdicottRoyalWarwickshireRegimentsourcedKingEdwardsSchoolBirmingham.png.9bb48fa93f17c9242e352dbe6d895f02.png

https://kes.org.uk/RollofHonour/biogs/coldicott-arden-cotterell.html

Low resolution makes it difficult to be sure, but possibly the officer stood behind Colonel Millers’ left shoulder and with the crease running across his face.

February 1917 War Diary signed off by Lieutenant Colonel G.S. Miller.

4th March 1917 A patrol consisting of 2/Lt G.W. Wilson.
5th March 1917 A patrol consisting of 2/Lt A.F. Page, 5 O.Rs and a Lewis Gun Team.
6th March 1917 A patrol consisting of 2/ Lt A.F. Page, 5 O.Rs and a Lewis Gun Team.
March 1917 War Diary signed off by Lieutenant Colonel G.S. Miller.

3rd April 1917 Major P.C. Edwards (2nd in Command) and 5 Subalterns and 12 ORs proceeded to Bivouac area.
9th April 1917 I officer casualty killed, one wounded.

CWGC shows Second Lieutenant Charles Danvers died on this day, He has no known grave and is remembered on the Arras Memorial.
13th Brigade War Diary shows 2/Lt A.P. Hack wounded.

The April 1917 entries were signed off by Lieutenant Colonel G.S. Miller.

4th May 1917 1 Officer wounded
5th May 1917 Bombing party under 2Lt A.F. Page
9th May 1917 Captain Hollick O.C ‘A’ Company killed.
Captain Rutter O.C. ‘D’ Company became only company commander left, with three other officers.
2/Lieut Siddons of ‘C’ Company occupied a position in SUNKEN ROAD.
Officer casualties – 6 killed 6 wounded.

CWGC shows

Between 8th and 9th May 1917.
Captain Percy Hood Hollick, 3rd Battalion attached 15th Battalion, Arras Memorial.

Second Lieutenant Thomas Leslie Nichols, 15th Battalion, buried Orchard Dump Cemetery, Arleux En Gohelle. Son of Walter and Lucy Nichols, of 73, Wentworth Rd., Harborne, Birmingham. May 1917 Monthly Army list has 2nd Lieutenant T.L. Nichols with seniority  from the 27th August 1915. Attended the King Edward’s School in Birmingham and their website has a mini-biography for him. https://kes.org.uk/RollofHonour/biogs/nichols-thomas-leslie.html

Second Lieutenant Harold Ligonier Treadway, 15th Battalion, Arras Memorial. Son of John Ligonier Treadway and Louise Emilie Allen   Treadway, of 6, Church Lane, Hornsey, London. Came from Venezuela to serve.
May 1917 Monthly Army list has 2nd Lieutenant (on probation) H.L. Treadway with seniority from the 12th November 1916.

Second Lieutenant Horace Thomas Royston Evans, 4th Battalion attached 15th Battalion, buried Orchard Dump Cemetery, Arleux En Gohelle. Son of Thomas Henry Royston Evans, O.B.E., J.P., and Annie Esther Evans, of White Lodge, 12, Wellesley Rd., Gunnersbury, London. May 1917 Monthly Army list has 2nd Lieutenant H.T. R Evans, attached from the 4th Battalion.

HoraceThomasRoystonEvansimagecourtesyTheWarIllustratedsourceArchiveOrg.png.8e87c3a269a2c9c77e00c88436cb1f48.png

Image courtesy The War Illustrated sourced Archive Org. https://archive.org/details/TWI1918pt1/page/n553/mode/2up?q=Evans&view=theater
          (Could he in the back row in front of the doors?)

Second Lieutenant Wilfred Ernest Parker, 15th Battalion, Arras Memorial. May 1917 Monthly Army list has 2nd Lieutenant W.E. Parker with seniority from the 27th November 1915. Mini-biography on this website including an extract from his Schools’ Great War Diary. https://rollofhonour.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/Person/Details?id=25770

20th May 1917

2nd Lieutenant Edgar Charles Hobson, buried Cologne Southern Cemetery.

The 13th Brigade War Diary adds that as well as Hollick, Hobson, Nichols, Treadway, Evans and Parker killed, there was also wounded for the month of April from the 15th Battalion  2/Lt Pickering, 2/Lt Allchurch, 2/Lt Preston, 2/Lt Gitings, 2/Lt Long, 2/Lt Gully, 2/Lt Page, 2/Lt Hallam and 2/Lt Crowley, (who remained at duty)

May 1917 Monthly Army list has

2nd Lieutenant S.G. Pickering attached from the 3rd Battalion. There is a Silver War Badge card for a Lieutenant Samuel George Pickering of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who was eligible 28th July 1919. His contact address was The Mount, Bedworth, near Nuneaton. No obvious claim for his service medals.

2nd Lieutenant F.H. Allchurch with seniority from the 23rd August 1916 is shown as Employed at a Command Depot! MiC for Frederick H. Allchurch shows him originally as 3082 Corporal \ Lance Serjeant in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment when he landed at Gallipoli on the 13th July 1915. He was released from his enlistment to take up a commission on the 24th July 1916. Only the 1914/15 Star was issued – doesn’t looks like the others were claimed. There are officers long papers for a 2nd Lieutenant Frederick Harry Allchurch held at the National Archice under reference. Went on to serving with the Royal Flying Corps \ Royal Air Force on an attached basis.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8186540
Emigrated to Australia and served with the Royal Australian Air Force in WW2. Died of natural causes in 1966. https://vwma.org.au/explore/people/798844
His (brief) RAAF records are online but unfortunately don’t include his ID photo. https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=5384290&isAv=N

2nd Lieutenant E.C. Preston is attached from the 3rd Battalion. Possible MiC – Lieutenant Edward Preston, first landed in France January 1919. Eligbile for the Silver War Badge 12th March 1919. Formally applied for his medals in July 1921 giving a contact address of Coniston, 182 Jockey Road, Sutton Coldfield.

2nd Lieutenant W.R. Gittings with seniority from the 12th May 1915. Silver War Badge card for Lieutenant William Reynold Gittings, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. No obvious service medal claim.

Long – no match

Gully – no match. There is a MiC for a Sydney Gully, originally 5758 Private 28th London Regiment when he landed in France on the 20th April 1916. He was released from his enlistment on the 23rd March 1917 to take up a Commission in the 15th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Formally applied for his medals in September 1921 giving a contact address of 22 Tintern Avenue, Westcliffe on Sea.

2nd Lieutenant A.F. Page with seniority from the 7th January 1917. Arthur Frederick Page was mentioned in an earlier post.

2nd Lieutenant G. Hallam attached from the 3rd Battalion. George Hallam has already been touched on.

Crowley – no match. There is a MiC for a Bernard Crowley, originally PS/2120 Private Middlesex Regiment when he first landed in France on the 17th November 1915. He was released from his enlistment in August 1916 to take up a commission in the RoyalWarwickshire Regiment. He formally applied for his medals in 1922, giving a contact address of Albury, The Avenue, Andover.

12th May 1917. Lt. Colonel G.S. Miller and Adjutant at Transport Lines. Major P.C. Edwards and a\adjt on the Ridge.

13th May 1917. 2Lt. G. Hallam wounded.
16th May 1917. Lt. Col. Miller and Adjutant to Battn. HQ Orchard Dugout, Major Edwards and A\Adjt to Transport.
17th May 1917 Trench strength of Battn 14 Officers.
20th May 1917 Trench strength of Battn 15 Officers
22nd May 1917. Patrol led by 2Lt W.H. Stone. Patrol led by 2/Lt G.W. Wilson.
28th May 1917 Lt.Col G.S. Miller on short leave to England, Major P.C. Edwards takes over.

Major Edwards signs off that months War Diary.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Formatting