Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glosters Double MM

Medic7922

I am looking for any information on a Gloucestershire Regiment NCO who was reported to have won the MM & Bar during WW1, the only info is that hes surname was Dowle,and he was also at Horfield barracks Bristol and died in the late 80s.

I am looking for any information on a Gloucestershire Regiment NCO who was reported to have won the MM & Bar during WW1, the only info is that hes surname was Dowle,and he was also at Horfield barracks Bristol and died in the late 80s.

John Dowle - 18997 Sjt. - 13 Feb. 1917 - "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He organised a party and greatly assisted in repelling an enemy raid. Later, he rescued a wounded man under fire. He has previosuly done fine work."

Enlisted 2 Sept. 1914, aged 19 years and 3 months. 7th Bn, Galipolli June 1915. Posted to Depot Sept. 1915 (probably wounded at Sari Bair 7 Aug.) Jan. 1916 3rd Special Reserve Bn. April 1916 to France 10th Bn. MM 9 Dec. 1916. DCM just over a fortnight later. Bar to MM 23 Feb. 1918. POW May 1918. Discharged April 1919. Tried to re-enlist 1939 but too old. Sergt. 13th Bn Glouc. Home Guard. After war worked in Llanelli steelworks. Returned to Bristol, BAC Engines Division. Retired 1961. Died 14th June 1979 at Bristol, aged 83.

After a bit of extra searching I have found Sgt John Dowle, I used to work with one of hes sons who told me that no one in hes family had any idea of hes military service or even the fact he was a highly decorated soldier until he died, when the Gloucestershire Reg contacted hes family when they heard of hes death

and offered to give him a full military funeral and guard of honour which was excepted by hes family,

The information above, which is from my web site, is based on an obit which was published in The Back Badge. I wonder where his medals are today?

Steve

The information above, which is from my web site, is based on an obit which was published in The Back Badge. I wonder where his medals are today?

Steve

I understand there was a lot of family conflict over hes medals, without going in to much detail they wanted to donate them to the Glosters museum but someone else in the family I believe has sold them.