Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice please - "X" 19th Trench Mortar Battery RFA

Minefield Mc

Are there any chums who may be able to point me in the right direction for the War Diary for this unit please? " "X" 19th Trench Mortar Battery RFA". I have had a good wander around Discovery on TNA so far but not too much luck this evening  as "I don't know what I don't know" about this unit. My reason for appealing to you good folk is that I have an ancestor buried at La Clytte  Military Cemetery SW or Ypres. "Gunner Joseph William Cuthbertson 64265 from Sherburn, County Durham." I am planning to visit and pay my respects during the weekend of the Ypres 100km, 9 May 24 in a fortnight. Any advice however small welcomed - Thank you.

the various 19th Div TMB diaries are in WO-95-2068-2.. including some for X/19 TMB.  ..if none for June 1917 I fear..

X/19 was created 20 March 1916, previously named as 4 Trench (Mortar) Battery - originally formed 23 April 1915.. serving first with  Meerut and Lahore Divisions and in 19th Division by October 1915..  one c/o in 1917 was a Lt [D?] Farquharson RFA, I believe

I see his date of entry was  20 July 1915 so that suggests he probably arrived in France with one of the 19th Division RFA brigades or the 19th DAC, so probably was posted to TMBs subsequently..

Edited by battiscombe
update

Ivor, thank you for your efforts and time. Very much appreciated. I am in Ypres in a fortnight if you need any photographs of anything specific. Kind REgards  Mc

10 hours ago, battiscombe said:

the various 19th Div TMB diaries are in WO-95-2068-2.. including some for X/19 TMB.  ..if none for June 1917 I fear..

X/19 was created 20 March 1916, previously named as 4 Trench (Mortar) Battery - originally formed 23 April 1915.. serving first with  Meerut and Lahore Divisions and in 19th Division by October 1915..  one c/o in 1917 was a Lt [D?] Farquharson RFA, I believe

I see his date of entry was  20 July 1915 so that suggests he probably arrived in France with one of the 19th Division RFA brigades or the 19th DAC, so probably was posted to TMBs subsequently..

Good morning Battiscombe, thank you very much for your advice, effort and time. Very much appreciated. I am in Ypres in a fortnight should you need any local photographs or anything. Kind REgards Mc

28 minutes ago, Minefield Mc said:

Ivor, thank you for your efforts and time. Very much appreciated. I am in Ypres in a fortnight if you need any photographs of anything specific. Kind REgards  Mc

That's great Mc. I was there in Sept 1986 with my grandfather. His Uncle Private Alexander Gordon Sproule - 1 Canadian Mounted Rifles. 117094, was KIA at Mount Sorrel in June 1916. He is apparently named on panel 30/32 of the Menin Gate. A photo of the panel (on the south stairs) with his name would be much appreciated. Ivor

As prev. mentioned by Battiscombe, 19th TMBs WD: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353021

The X19 TMB pages only seem to start from July 1917 - They moved from LOCRE on 4 July 1917:

X19.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I will do my best, however a lot of the gate is closed and shrouded in scaffolding at the moment due to the big renovation. It is also closed to traffic so may not be able to get to the panel. I am a regular visitor however so if cannot sort in a fortnight it will be on my list of must does!