Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CSM John 'Jack' William Tantram, 14258, West Yorkshire Regt (Prince of Wales Own) - What battalion?

GMB

Hi All,

I am currently looking into CSM Tantram and his subsequent death on 14th July 1916. CWGC shows that he was with the 104th Btn but I assume this must be a mistake.....?

I have gathered significant information from newspaper articles but the one thing I cannot pin down is what Battalion he was with. The family seem to think the 12th, but I cannot confirm this. The pension records & MIC don't shed any light and I cannot access the Soldiers Effects for some reason on Ancestry.

Is anyone able to shed any light on the battalion he was with please or able to check the soldiers effects? I need to pin down the war diary but tricky without know where he was.

Cheers

Gavin

Edited by GMB

• GMB changed the title to CSM John 'Jack' William Tantram, 14258, West Yorkshire Regt (Prince of Wales Own) - What battalion?
  • Admin

12th Bn.

It's all over his paper-based CWGC records.

It's very common to find scanning errors when CWGC digitised their records. When you find an obvious anomaly like that, check the paper versions for the correct details and then tell CWGC to amend their digital record.

I've done 1000s of them.

Regards

Russ

Imagine me thinking I am a dab hand at researching and only looking at the Concentration & Headstone paperwork and ignoring the Grave paperwork on CWGC  :blush:

thanks mate

Gavin

Always good to put a face to the man in question. (image courtesy of Find A Grave)

Tantram.jpg

• Admin

Having contacted the CWGC, his record will shortly be amended :)

Regards

Russ

CWGC Tantram 2.jpg

Thanks Russ, that was on my list of things to do today, but I am currently down in the weeds trying to identify a number of officers from a photo I have just got in my possession of the 15th RWR (will post separately about it).

Re: Jack, this has been on of the easier searches in the newspapers, coming from Killamarsh nr Sheffield. According to articles, he was recommended for the MM but was ineligible, whilst another mentions he was recommended for the DCM. 

In a letter published from Capt Sir A E Dunbar, it says "At St Eloi in March, he earned the Military Medal, and would haver got it not for the fact he was a warrant officer and ineligible for it, and I am sure had he been spared he would have earned further distinction.......".

The WD shows a brigade report of operations on 30th March where the 12th Btn supported the Northumberland Fusiliers in an attack that started at 4.15am, where heavy German shelling lasted for most of the day . Jack is not mentioned in name and I am continuing to go through the WD. I would post the page but I better check the forum rules again :thumbsup:

Gavin