Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Kings or Cheshire Cap badge info please

tamiwell

Hello,

My Great Grandfather served with the Liverpool Kings, but a photograph of him before he left for overseas service appears to possibly show a cheshire cap badge?  I was wondering if that might have meant that he was originally assigned to that unit and then transferred later?  He was from a town outside of Manchester.  Thank you

img20240425_11400259.jpg

There is also another photograph of him in uniform that appears to show another cap badge - possibly Shropshire??

img20240425_12201416.jpg

1 hour ago, tamiwell said:

Hello,

My Great Grandfather served with the Liverpool Kings, but a photograph of him before he left for overseas service appears to possibly show a cheshire cap badge?  I was wondering if that might have meant that he was originally assigned to that unit and then transferred later?  He was from a town outside of Manchester.  Thank you

img20240425_11400259.jpg

Have you managed to obtain his service records? That should help you to unravel the mystery? If you don’t have access to a subscription service that enables you to access service records you might be able to get some answers from his medal card which should be available for free from the NA? If you can provide his full name and/or his regimental  number I will see if I can locate his medal card for you.

Thank you Stevejm, I appreciate that.  His number was 50722.  I've attached a screen shot of one page I could access through ancestry.com, which I thought would have had any other unit recorded on it if there had been any.....so I'm a bit stumped about why he has two other cap badges on his hats, but neither seem to be of the Liverpool Kings!  Wasn't that one a horse? Hopefully it will make sense to someone more knowledgeable than me! :)

Screenshot 2024-04-25 134033.png

12 minutes ago, tamiwell said:

Thank you Stevejm, I appreciate that.  His number was 50722.  I've attached a screen shot of one page I could access through ancestry.com, which I thought would have had any other unit recorded on it if there had been any.....so I'm a bit stumped about why he has two other cap badges on his hats, but neither seem to be of the Liverpool Kings!  Wasn't that one a horse? Hopefully it will make sense to someone more knowledgeable than me! :)

Screenshot 2024-04-25 134033.png

What is his full name?

20 minutes ago, tamiwell said:

Sorry!  Forgot that detail!  Herbert Boardman :)

Is this him? I figured out his name by searching on his number. Unfortunately it doesn’t help because it only shows him with the Liverpool regiment. I am a bit curious by the stamp “225th Infantry Battalion” at the top of the image that you posted . That doesn’t sound like a British Unit but there was a Canadian unit with that designation.IMG_7438.jpeg.ccb78051f955929eb71ff3eb4e4df718.jpeg

Edited by Stevejm
Update

Note that 24 IBD on the image that you posted refers to 24 Infantry Base Depot which was located at Etaple. There are details of the IBDs at the following link.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/infantry-base-depots-in-france-1914-1918/

Perhaps he joined a different unit in UK then was allocated to the Liverpool regiment from the IBD?

3 hours ago, tamiwell said:

Hello,

img20240425_11400259.jpg

Yes, that is the badge of the Cheshire Regiment IMG_1869.jpeg.4de00e3911a2276ad16ccba8c7d76690.jpegIMG_0879.jpeg.63dbbc94a3ec66b59c0ec274606c7996.jpeg

Have a look at the Long Long Trail website which part of this forum and look at Training Reserve formed in September 1916

3 hours ago, tamiwell said:

There is also another photograph of him in uniform that appears to show another cap badge - possibly Shropshire??

img20240425_12201416.jpg

Please can supply a full photograph as it will help in some way in answering your question 

Edited by thetrenchrat22

It's strange isn't it then, that he would wear the Cheshire badge?  And then, there was that other photograph that he sent in 1918 with another cap badge on it - with the horn underneath?  Does anyone know what that one was?  (Earlier I attached the cropped cap showing that one).

There was a family story that he tried to enlist underage, and that his sisters found out and dragged him back home!  I wonder if he managed to join far enough to receive the Cheshire cap badge before they found out.....but I think the men had to be in the base unit for a bit before then, didn't they? 

For the Cheshire cap badge pic, he was taking a photo with his cousin, who also wore the same badge.  I suppose another possibility is that he was wearing his cousin's unit badge just for the photo....I just can't remember what his cousins name was at present.  I'll have to dig around a little and see if I can turn that up.  I don't think that happened very often though, did it?  I would imagine they were very proud of their unit once assigned.

Thanks everyone for helping!  It's turned out to be more of a mystery than I thought!  

30 minutes ago, tamiwell said:

It's strange isn't it then, that he would wear the Cheshire badge?  And then, there was that other photograph that he sent in 1918 with another cap badge on it - with the horn underneath?  Does anyone know what that one was?  (Earlier I attached the cropped cap showing that one).

There was a family story that he tried to enlist underage, and that his sisters found out and dragged him back home!  I wonder if he managed to join far enough to receive the Cheshire cap badge before they found out.....but I think the men had to be in the base unit for a bit before then, didn't they? 

For the Cheshire cap badge pic, he was taking a photo with his cousin, who also wore the same badge.  I suppose another possibility is that he was wearing his cousin's unit badge just for the photo....I just can't remember what his cousins name was at present.  I'll have to dig around a little and see if I can turn that up.  I don't think that happened very often though, did it?  I would imagine they were very proud of their unit once assigned.

Thanks everyone for helping!  It's turned out to be more of a mystery than I thought!  

I have downloaded the diary for 2/6th Kings Liverpool regiment and on 18/8/17 it mentions that a draft of 131 men was received from 24th IBD on that day which matches the partial record that you posted. If you know the date that he was wounded you can download the diary and find out what they were doing on that day. Are you able to download his full service record from Ancestry? If they have his attestation papers it might show which regiment he initially enlisted in. The section on IBDs on the LLT website mentions that in times of high casualties men posted from the IBDs often had to change cap badges to suit their destination regiment. For example he may have enlisted in the Cheshires then been assigned to the Liverpool Regiment from the IBD changing cap badge in the process. The second photo appears to show a light infantry cap badge. He may have been assigned to a different regiment when he returned to England wounded. For example my grandfather served with KSLI in St Eloi, was wounded then after a period of convalescence in England he was assigned to the South Lancashire Regiment in England.

Edited by Stevejm

1 hour ago, tamiwell said:

photograph that he sent in 1918 with another cap badge on it - with the horn underneath? 

It’s the Liverpool Rifles badge.  The 6th Battalion King’s (Liverpool Regiment) Territorial Force, a unit with a lineage back to the old Rifle Volunteer Corps.  The special badge reflects that history.

IMG_3865.jpeg

IMG_3869.jpeg

IMG_3868.jpeg

IMG_3870.jpeg

IMG_3867.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, tamiwell said:

As @FROGSMILE has shown the second photo shows him badged as 6th Bn. King”s (Liverpool Regiment], the unit to which he was transferred from 24th Infantry Base Depot in August 1917.

The Cheshire Regiment badge can be explained by the fact that he originally enlisted into the 50th Training Reserve Battalion (later 225th Graduated Infantry Battalion), service number 3/9751.  This Training Reserve Battalion had its origins in the 14th (Reserve) Battalion Cheshire Regiment which is why he has that particular badge.

Steve

Edited by SteveE

Is there a faint patch visible on his right upper sleeve?

Scott

Patch.PNG

2 hours ago, Waddell said:

Is there a faint patch visible on his right upper sleeve?

Scott

Patch.PNG

Yes, that would be TR plus the number of his Training Reserve Battalion.  Both were stitched to the upper arm (TR had previously been worn on the shoulder strap until 1917) and generally looked something like the image enclosed. 

IMG_2340.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Wow thank you all so much!  I really appreciate all your answers and the time you've spent to help me with this.  It's wonderful to understand a little more about my Great Grandfather's war experience.  He was only 18 when he enlisted.  So determined to enlist that he tried to do so underage, only to have his sisters drag him back home.  I believe he refused to speak about the war after he returned, although his Grandson (my dad) tried a few times to get some war stories out of him.  He would apparently tell everyone to stand up straight, trying to correct bad posture, when he was an elderly man and couldn't even stand up straight himself!  Maybe due to his military training!  :)  He was a good man.

I have a photograph of him with some other members of the 2/6th Liverpool Kings.  Just a little group of them posing for the photo in France.  Do you know where it would best to share/post this photograph in the hopes of someone else recognising a family member who served with this unit?

Thanks so much again!

7 hours ago, tamiwell said:

I have a photograph of him with some other members of the 2/6th Liverpool Kings.  Just a little group of them posing for the photo in France.  Do you know where it would best to share/post this photograph in the hopes of someone else recognising a family member who served with this unit?

You can always post it here to complete the thread tamiwell, but ideally also amend the thread title to read - 5th King’s (Liverpool Rifles) and Cheshire Regiment.

If you’re not sure how to change the thread title it I’m sure that one of the forum moderators will help if you ask.

Edited by FROGSMILE