Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Sought In Locating TFEM Card For Man With Tragic Tale

Richard Stiles

Can anyone please located for me the TFEM roll for T/418625 Pte. Frederick Alfred Diver RASC late 1746 6th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers who was, my research of the 1914-15 Star Roll for the North'd Fus suggests, the only member of the 2/6th Bn to receive said Star. Medal Index Card (attached) states 'No trace TFEM 24/11/23', so one assumes the award of the medal must have at least been considered. The tragic aspect of this man's storey is that, having been wounded, he survived the war, left a depressed Newcastle-on-Tyne of the early 1920's to seek a new life in Canada, only to die alongside his only child in a car accident in Windsor, Ontario, in January 1932. Frederick's wife returned to Newcastle where, some years later, she remarried. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard

index.jpg

8 hours ago, Richard Stiles said:

Can anyone please located for me the TFEM roll for T/418625 Pte. Frederick Alfred Diver RASC late 1746 6th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers who was, my research of the 1914-15 Star Roll for the North'd Fus suggests, the only member of the 2/6th Bn to receive said Star. Medal Index Card (attached) states 'No trace TFEM 24/11/23', so one assumes the award of the medal must have at least been considered. The tragic aspect of this man's storey is that, having been wounded, he survived the war, left a depressed Newcastle-on-Tyne of the early 1920's to seek a new life in Canada, only to die alongside his only child in a car accident in Windsor, Ontario, in January 1932. Frederick's wife returned to Newcastle where, some years later, she remarried. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard

index.jpg

Forum member @Graham Stewart has great knowledge of the Northumberland Fusiliers and might possibly know where to find the information that you seek.  Hopefully he’ll see this call out.

The TFEM rolls have not been photographed and indexed. They are in the WO 102 series, and can be physically consulted at Kew, series WO 102.

There are some transcriptions of the LSGC and TFEM rolls, you need to be a Fold3/FWR subscriber to access the information.

TheGenealogist have TFEM cards and there's nothing for Diver.

If the medal office found no trace of a TFEM card for him in 1923 I think it's safe to say there never was one.

It doesn't follow for me that a failure to find a TFEM card indicates that he was considered for the award.

I would presume he made enquiries for a TFEM and the lack of card plus the other reference which I'd guess at being internal correspondence to see if he was entitled determined that he was not entitled.

TEW

Born around November 1896. 

The medal was awarded for 12 years service, while war service counted double. Interesting that his MIC documents that he was the recipient of a Silver War Badge. Presumably he reenlisted in the TF at some point in the interwar years?

Hi All,

6/1746 Pte Frederick Alfred Driver did infact serve with the 1/6th Bn,N.F. arriving in France on the date stated. He appeared in the Bn War Diary on numerous occassions due mainly to sickness and I have him as wounded(?) 26/4/1915 and then 19/10/1915(Sick to Hospital) - 5/11/1915(Sick to Hospital) - 18/6/1916(Sick to Hospital) - 26/6/1916(Sick to Hospital) and possibly wounded again on 15/9/1916.

He is eventually posted to the 2/6th, N.F. and I believe the MIC is possibly a clerical error. From here he is posted or attached to the Royal Defence Corps and Royal Engineers before transfer to the Army Service Corps(1/7/1918) and eventually Discharged on the 20th May 1919 under Kings Regulations Para 392(xvi)a.

There is no regimental numbers for him with "serving" with the R.D.C. or R.E., which is odd and so this could possibly mean attached only considering the Royal Defence Corps never served overseas.

Regards,

Graham

7 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

he was the recipient of a Silver War Badge

Discharged from RASC as T/418625 as a Z claim 20-5-19.

Claimed for Otitis media - aggravated by service.  Address 7 Napier St, Newcastle on Tyne

Final award 7/6 pw from 19.1.21 for 70 weeks under the prevailing 1919 Royal Warrant 1 (3)

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo otitis

Whilst the card is marked 'No trace T Eff M 24/11/29' there is no evidence that he ever reenlisted, following his medical discharge on 20 May 1919.

37 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

there is no evidence that he ever reenlisted, following his medical discharge on 20 May 1919.

I would concur, as his name does not appear in the MOD Database of Military Discharges 1920-1971.*

* Although this database is known to be incomplete.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Discharged from RASC as T/418625 as a Z claim 20-5-19.

Claimed for Otis media - aggravated by service.  Address 7 Napier St, Newcastle on Tyne

Final award 7/6 pw from 19.1.21 for 70 weeks under the prevailing 1919 Royal Warrant 1 (3)

M

Hi - Am curious to know where you got him as a 'Z' Claim, as its doubtful that he was a Class 'Z' Reservist - or am I reading it incorrectly???

Under Kings Regs Para 392(xvi)a he would have been declared "No Longer physically fit for War Service".

Graham

14 hours ago, Richard Stiles said:

index.jpg

Hi Richard,

Just a quickie to let you know that his Service Record still exists and that he initially enlisted with the 6th Bn,N.F. on 14th April 1913, at the age of 17yrs. The record is really fascinating as his first transfer was to the Northern Cyclist Bn on the 15th December 1914, before returning to the 6th Bn on the 27th Jan 1915 and then posted to the 2/6th Bn on the 16th April 1915 and then to the 1/6th Bn on the 20th Sept 1915.

He appears to have been returned home to serve with the 80th Territorial Force Depot on the 19th July 1916 and then to the 4th(Reserve)Bn,N.F. on the 14th November 1916. From here he was transferred to the R.D.C. on the 3rd November 1917 and then to the Royal Engineers on 12th January 1918.

Honest it is a really fascinating Record.

Regards,

Graham.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

3 hours ago, Graham Stewart said:

Am curious to know where you got him as a 'Z' Claim, as its doubtful that he was a Class 'Z' Reservist - or am I reading it incorrectly???

Under Kings Regs Para 392(xvi)a he would have been declared "No Longer physically fit for War Service".

I have to confess a SWB under 392 xvi does seem rather final but I don't think that was always the case [well not later in the war - some men got multiple SWB]

My wording was carefully chosen = Z Claim [as from looking at a considerable number of pension records for other men it seems there were a number of claims made under a Z claim reference but it is then often unclear as to whether the man was actually fit or likely to be soon be fit for further service or at least fit enough for later Medical Board reappraisal should Z Reserve mobilisation be actually required].  Transfer to the Z Reserve was not directly recorded, but ... The pension index card has the initial reference Z/RASC/21765

image.png.916394525b460e20f7cd20bad60f4edb.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Claims on discharge typically being made on a Z,22 form - sometimes for Z Reserve and sometimes otherwise.

After all Otitis media is a relative minor, if likely quite a painful, complaint and he might potentially later have been fit enough for further duty, possibly Home Service, at a later date - of course Z Reserve mobilisation & duty was not required for anyone as the war did not reignite.

His claim does seem to have continued - We can also see the ongoing/later references for a disability claim 2/MD/3135 and then for payment overseas under 60704/OS/M before the claim/file became DEAD [Due to his death it would seem] and the paperwork being sent to the MoP store at Hollinwood

M

Edit: On reflection, perhaps not overly carefully worded - maybe I should have put ... Z referenced claim??  However should clarification of Z references, here and generally, by another(s) be possible then I would be pleased to learn of it.

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit

Dear all, Thank you for the input and debate. I can confirm Frederick did not re-enlist. He emigrated to Canada in the early 1920's and settled in Windsor, Ontario. Frederick and his 10 year old daughter, died in a car accident in the Windsor area on 23-24/1/1932. Thank you, Richard