Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr George Weald RFA 59763. Trying to trace movements

gareth morris

Hello All.

I am trying to trace the movements of Gnr George Weald from the time he landed in France (11/9/14 given by MIC) to his demise aboard the HS St David on 2/11/16.

I have consulted the long lost trail, but(and it must be me) cannot easily follow brigades/batteries etc where the RFA are concerned.

The aim is to understand the units served with so that i can download the relevant war diaries.

Any and all help gratefully accepted please.

I have attached a couple of snap shots from Soldiers effects and an active service casualty sheet.

Thankyou.

(Images courtesy of Ancestry).

image.jpeg.a8607500749b9778f7823465d85a68db.jpeg

image.jpeg.884fafd130d98f5d09e1ee80a929818d.jpeg

image.jpeg.762e87627c89aff029c3d847bb6df25a.jpeg

• Admin

Posted 129 Bty from 38 Brigade Base Depot
Posted  Y TMB 

The Officer Commanding 3 Divisional Ammunition Column reported his wounding. 
The Officer Commanding 13 General Hospital noted his transfer to the Hospital Ship. 
He seems to have been recorded as being with 27 TMB and 1/23 TMB on the reports of his death. 
Sorry I can’t help further. 

Thankyou Michelle, that is a help..

Thinking out loud!

So given his wounding was reported by OC 3Div Ammunition column, it would make sense he was with the 3rd Division.

The 3rd Division does have (now obvious to me) a 3 div ammunition column RFA. It also has a Y3 medium mortar battery (presumably the 3 is for 3 division?).

I can also now see that 129 Bty was part of 30Bde (3 division also), and was broken up mid may 1916. Hence his transfer to Y3.

The above all works for the casualty sheet.

I wonder why the soldiers effects differs. Any ideas welcome.

Thankyou  

1 hour ago, gareth morris said:

wonder why the soldiers effects differs. Any ideas welcome

Probably transcription? One of the Effects  shows Y/23. I note cwgc use Y23 

Edited by charlie962
Correction

I would guess that the latter records are simply mistakes, as clerks were often unfamiliar with nomenclature of small Trench Mortar units.... and  the Y and Z letters (especially) are often misread/miswritten in records relating to TMBs..[and indeed on casualty lists]... 

27 TMB makes no sense by Nov 1916 for .. while Y/23 is nearly correct!   Y/3 TMB was formed in March 1916 based round  40th Trench Battery, an artillery-manned unit formed in July 1915, which served mainly with 3 Division during later 1915..  the 3rd Division TMB war diaries  look to record some casualties on X/3 Y/3 and Z/3 around that date WO-95-1402-2

I woudl add that the  'primary' record here is the Casualty Form, submitted by relevant c/o's.. which are unlikely to be mistaken..

Edited by battiscombe