Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

87330 Pte. Walter RUSTON, 22nd (Tyneside Scottish) Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers

Old Monkey

I am hoping a Northumberland Fusiliers expert (anybody with more knowledge than me) can tell me roughly when Walter Ruston was allocated the NF regimental number 87330? He was killed in action serving with the 22nd Bn. on 17th September 1918.

He previously served with the 2nd Bn. East Yorkshire Regiment in France/Flanders from May 1915 and in Salonika from November 1915. The 2nd Bn. remained in Salonika until the end of the Great War, so some event clearly caused Walter Ruston to return from Salonika to the UK and France prior to his death.

I am guessing that at some point in 1917 or 1918 he went through Etaples and instead of being posted to one of the many East Yorkshire Regiment battalions he was instead transferred to the 22nd Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers. But when?

Any assistance appreciated.

Darren  

• Admin

It looks like there were a batch of men who transferred to the 22/NF on 08/07/1918 and allotted new NF numbers in a range which straddled 87359. (records for 87325 & 87359 refer).

The transfers occurred in the UK (Whitely Bay) given that the 22/NF were back in the UK at the time for re-building before going back out to France in July 1918 in 16/Division.

Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I note the 22nd Battalion was reduced to cadre on 17th May 1918 and returned to England on 18th June with 16th Division. It absorbed the new 38th Battalion at Margate and was posted to 48th Brigade, 16th Division, at Aldershot. It returned to France in July where it remained for the rest of the war. 

I therefore surmise that Walter Ruston was one of the many men who brought the 22nd Battalion up to strength in early July 1918 before they returned to France.

Appreciate the information.

Darren