Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Norcombe family/ families.

mancpal

A long standing friend has mentioned her paternal Grandfather being as far back as she knows genealogically ( a bit surprised as she has her Mothers side quite a way back). 
I know Norcombe is a very uncommon surname and did a check on the medal roll index cards which yielded only 6 of the same surname. 
My friends Grandad was Ernest Norcombe and served in the RAF during WW2 in a medical role she believes.
My question is without any subscriptions to the usual genealogy sites how would I (or she) find out if any of the ‘WW1 Six’ are her great grandfather/great uncle etc. ?
I have little further information other than  there is a West Country connection (….combe giving it away a little and remembering her father had a pronounced Avon/Somerset accent). 
I know my local library has Ancestry however I tend to be working during their opening hours and my friend is at the sharp end of the NHS and has a family.

We would both welcome any guidance or information.

Simon

An afterthought, I assume Ernest on the WW1 mic list could be the same man as WW2 RAF Ernest. He had a son called Geoffrey ( my friends dad) whom I would think was born in the 1930’s.

Simon

a quick check on Ancestry and Fold3 , as you say, not many mentions of Norcombe.

There was a Ernest Norcombe from Bristol . Served WW1 in both the Wiltshire and Yorkshire Regiments. It would not be uncommon for a father and son to have the same christian name.

1939 census has   78 Wallingford Road, Bristol

Ernest Norcombe  dob not known  Widower

Arthur Norcombe   dob 9 May 19 Single

Edward Norcombe 26 Feb 1916 Single

Clarice Norcombe ( Applin)  20 Feb 1921 Single

Doris E Norcombe (Pocock)  31 March 1924 Single

there is also a   89 Lincoln Street, Bristol

Ernest E Norcombe   dob  4 May 1903

Hilda B Norcombe  dob 1 Mar 1904

Geoffrey Norcombe  dob 29 July 1935

You say a pronounced accent, Brizzle has their own dialect. Even across the border in Wiltshire Ive worked with some Brizzle boys and had to listen hard to whet they were saying.

According to the 1939 census, Ernest from Lincoln Street was a printer in a box factory, no side mention for ARP or RAF that some have. Not a problem, as my father was a factory worker in 1939 and later volunteered for the RAF.

ernest jnr 1901 census has age 7 which would tie in and his father was also Ernest age 30 and mother Charlotte age 30.

he had siblings Bessie 9 and Florence 1.

living in King Street, Bedminster.

Thanks Chaz, 

I’ve just checked and the Lincoln St address is correct, Geoffrey (correct d.o.b.) is her father. 
I’ll ask again about the RAF and see if she knows any more. 
Thanks again.

Simon

The only further thing is she thinks Ernest went to Africa leaving her dad to be raised by his mother and an “evil aunt”! 
It appears Hildas maiden name was Tyack. 
Thanks again.

Simon

Hilda Blanche Norcombe, father John Tyack, mother Mary Ann Elizabeth Atkins

death regd July 1957

Ernest Edward Norcombe married April 1934

If you can get on Ancestry there is a tree and documents for them

23 hours ago, mancpal said:

Ernest on the WW1 mic list

I presume you may be/are referring to:

Ernest NORCOMBE, 34269, Wiltshire Regiment.  36038, East Yorkshire Regiment.

???

Nothing showing up in pension records at WFA/Fold3 so no address

M

Edit: I note he only got a BWM - so presumably he served away from home/overseas, but not in a theatre of war - might be worth enquiring about

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Chaz, thanks again for your further information which I have conveyed. I recommended an Ancestry free  trial so she can access the family tree.

I think my friends late Mother did a fairly comprehensive job of her side of the family tree, my friend has an analytical mind and I suspect when time permits she’ll get her teeth into it (or go to the library like the rest of us from the peasant classes!).

Matlock, the Ernest I refer to is the one from Lincoln St, born 1903 so purely on age he wouldn’t have seen WW1 service though is thought to have seen WW2 action with the RAF (possibly an African connection?).

I’d guess given the scarcity of the surname that the six Norcombe soldiers on the medal roll index cards are the same family and perhaps not too distantly related. 
Thanks again.

Simon

7 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Matlock, the Ernest I refer to is the one from Lincoln St, born 1903 so purely on age he wouldn’t have seen WW1 service though is thought to have seen WW2 action with the RAF (possibly an African connection?).

Sorry - Because posted here on GWF I thought Ernest had served in the GW - I guess you had wondered too - and I missed the 1903 date in Chaz's post above.

M

Initially I was trying to see if WW2  RAF Ernest was either son of a WW1 soldier or perhaps even the same Ernest who served in both wars.

Simon

Ernest Norcombe b 1882 died jan 47, father Robert 1844-1900, mother Louisa Hannah Coleman 1846-1921.

spouse Charlotte Long 1881-1937

Children Bessie 1901-1939, Florence May 1903-1915, Alice May 1905-1906, Charles William 1907-1976, Arthur 1912-1993, Albert George 1915-1940, William 1919-1979, Doris E 1924-1991.

with this they should be able to trace back the family, note some died very young or middle aged.

1 hour ago, chaz said:

it could well be the same Ernest family, Ernest born in 1903 had a father Ernest age 30 in 1901 so by the time of the war could well have joined a local RFC/RAF base at Filton, Bristol and qualified for the home service BWM.

Where does RFC/RAF Filton come from?  I suppose you are possibly hypothesising a reason for a lack of MIC = Has a RFC/RAF Airman's service record been found?  I'm not seeing anything at TNA.

And a H/S BWM? Though I have very occasionally come across those H/S BWM wouldn't one be rather unusual for a Pte in the WR and EYR?  I thought more likely for senior NCO and WO  ??  But this is possibly an aside and probably not for great discussion here.

Anyway I am bowing out now - but always available for a WFA/Fold3 pension look-up if required.

M

Matlock,

I didn’t mention the RFC or RAF Filton. The potential RAF connection is a WW2 one yet to be proved one way or another. Simon

confused with same christian name.. hid my previous reply .

Chaz,

If it’s any consolation I get mixed up with my own name.

Monis

10 hours ago, mancpal said:

I didn’t mention the RFC or RAF Filton.

Simon, Not blaming you or blaming Chaz. [emphasis - no blame on anyone]

Was just enquiring of Chaz where his post content came from and wider questioning the other content which had rather confused me. Now resolved by that post's disappearance. These things can happen.

But, like you and others, I'm still struggling to find 'your' Ernest.  Wishing you good fortune.

M

the problem with the younger Ernest is no access to the 1921 census or later. I have posted marriage and death dates.

you could apply for the WW2 service papers from the MOD, if they exist. My father had only two pages left, apparently the RAF/MOD got rid of what they thought no longer needed.

30 minutes ago, chaz said:

the problem with the younger Ernest is no access to the 1921 census

If you are registered with them then searches can be done without payment at Find My Past - but you then need to pay to get a record(s) of interest [transcripts and/or image available.

I found this:

• Earnest E  Norcombe  1903  Bristol, Gloucestershire, England.  Bristol  Bristol  Gloucestershire

I found a relative born 1903 in the RAF on the 1921 Census [the image of his entry was particualry interesting] - unfortunately you may or may not get a service number off the Census, I didn't [I suspect it depends according to military branch/location - though a second relative's No. was not recorded either] - if applicable

With biographical info you can then apply to the RAF's Air Historical Branch to do a search - they were quick [much quicker than expected and experienced at other places]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

Thanks for trying. My intention is to pass on the details to my friend and let her do the rest. Both she and her husband are interested in looking deeper.

Simon