Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Allen E Battalion Tank Corps

TMPJ

Dear all,

I am hoping that you might be able to help me locate some further information about a Private in the Tank Corps.

The surname of the soldier is Allen, he served as the left gunner in the Tank Edward II (E/5th Battalion Tank Corps) at the 3rd Battle of Ypres, the Battle of Cambrai and the Battle of Amiens. 

Confusingly there were two men in this Tank Crew with the surname Allen. Lance Corporal A.E. Allen, the driver, was Australian; the Allen that I am searching for information about was from Portsmouth.

I believe that "Gunner" Allen was court-martialled on a charge of "dumb insolence" after Amiens. However, it is clear from existing sources that he was suffering a psychotic breakdown as a result of his experiences in battle rather being insubordinate in any meaningful way.

I would be grateful for any leads that you might have. Obviously, as he was not an officer there are fewer records available, but any information would be much appreciated.

Warmest,

Tobias

Possibly Pte. 70054 Charles John Allen 5th TC also POW 16/4/1918 by the medal roll

May be this chap. D.o.b is out by a month but appears to tie with his POW record. 14th TC when he was captured.

Charles John Allen
1898–1966
BIRTH 4 FEB 1898 • Portsmouth, Hampshire, England

DEATH 20 JAN 1966 • Portsmouth, Hampshire, England

gbm_icrc_c_g1_e_04_01_0170_0025.jpg

Fascinating David, many thanks.

Do you know what medal Pte. Charles John Allen received and when? 

It also dawned on me that "Allen" could easily be an error in the source that I am working with for "Alan", "Allan" etc. This would make the search somewhat harder.

• Admin

He received the standard Victory and British War medals as per his MIC . Image ©️ Ancestry

IMG_1095.jpeg

Thank you for all your assistance with this.

I am wondering whether there is any information available about what happened to Pte. Charles J. Allen after the war?

I would be interested to work out whether Allen was able to recover from the psychotic breakdown he experienced after the Battle of Cambrai.

(There is an error on his PoW record, the address should read Lucknow Street, Fratton, Portsmouth)

For those interested there is some information here: https://tankmuseum.org/article/flesquieres-ridge His tank commander 2nd/Lt. Wilfred Bion was awarded the DSO as a result.

Warmest,

Tobias

11 hours ago, TMPJ said:

Fascinating David, many thanks.

Do you know what medal Pte. Charles John Allen received and when? 

It also dawned on me that "Allen" could easily be an error in the source that I am working with for "Alan", "Allan" etc. This would make the search somewhat harder.

Yes - this chap is just a possibility as he was from Portsmouth and listed as 5th Tank Corps on his medal roll. If you have any family background  that may help confirm . He's on a number of Ancestry family trees.