Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beaumont Hamel Trenches

ike

I am trying to find out about a trench line that cuts across the Beaumont Hamel battlefield park. Just in front of the caribou memorial is a trench line that you can walk down with duckboards is this a support trench? and then about 50 meters in front of that is another trench line it runs across the battlefield park just past danger tree I was told it was the British Front line? I am Ok with the trench line at the far end of the park as it is German. 

Thanks  

• Admin

The Caribou is at about 57d.Q.16.b.13.44. If you put that into TrenchMapper you will offered over 280 maps. Not all have trenches but most do.

Choose maps in the left panel.

Howard

The duckboarded trench is or was Fethard Street which housed the dugout HQs of 87th and 88th Bdes just before the junction with Carlisle Street which takes you to the Front Line of 1st July. The trench which cuts through the centre of the park is Wellington Trench which became the new Front Line - work began on this during the second week of July by the 2nd Bn Monmouths and 19th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers.

J

Edited by jay dubaya

On 23/04/2024 at 08:34, jay dubaya said:

The duckboarded trench is or was Fethard Street which housed the dugout HQs of 87th and 88th Bdes just before the junction with Carlisle Street which takes you to the Front Line of 1st July. The trench which cuts through the centre of the park is Wellington Trench which became the new Front Line - work began on this during the second week of July by the 2nd Bn Monmouths and 19th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers.

J

Thanks for this Jay. I have finally been able to sit down at my PC and look this up.

I apologise ike, it pays to check one's notes quite often these days...

The duckboarded trench closest to the Caribou is what became Harrow Road, a short communication short trench which joins the northern end of what became Withington Avenue second line support trench. Neither of these trenches appear to have been named on maps prior to 1st July attack.

Here's an overlay of the British Lines taken on 6th July 1916, the large red dot is the location of the Caribou and the smaller red dot the location of the 87th and 88th Inf Bde HQs near the junction of Fethard Street and Carlisle Street.

2.jpg

Edited by jay dubaya

50 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Harrow Road

I don't know if this helps but Harrow Row (not Road) is marked on this map dated 28-04-16

image.png.f928151a53da4b194987e72a9ee870ce.png

1 hour ago, Don Regiano said:

I don't know if this helps but Harrow Row (not Road) is marked on this map dated 28-04-16

Yes it does Don, and my mistake… Road should be Row

4 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Thanks for this Jay its all coming together nicely now. I give talks at this site with my groups now I'll have some additional information

3 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Yes it does Don, and my mistake… Road should be Row

No problem Jay.  I often am fooled by subtle changes in trench names which make me wonder because many have very similar names.  I now try not to assume anything!

17 hours ago, ike said:

Once again thanks for all of this. Another question when they talk about the German 2nd and 3rd line of trenches or defence. Where were they? 

Ok know where the 1st line was at the ravine but how far back were the other 2? 

4 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

ike, take a look at these two old thread here,and here

Jay thanks so much I'll digest all of this in the morning when I sit down with my coffee at my PC.at first glance it looks amazing . Very much appreciated

On 25/04/2024 at 17:13, ike said:

Once again thanks for all of this. Another question when they talk about the German 2nd and 3rd line of trenches or defence. Where were they? 

Ok know where the 1st line was at the ravine but how far back were the other 2?