Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adding a name to a war memorial

shuggs

Hi all 

I'm looking information on how are even if it's possible are even if I have a case to get my great grandfathers name added to his home town war memorial he died in 1929 from TB any information anything really would be great thanks hugh

IMG_20240422_125836010.jpg

• Admin

The cut off date for war casualties to be recognised by the CWGC was sometime in 1921. Names on war memorials seems to vary enormously. I’ve seen men from the mid 1920s on some, some men who didn’t even live  in the place, weren’t even born in England…..Was his death attributed to his war service? 

I can't be 100 percent positive that his death was caused by ww1 he was discharged for sickness and something else chronic syuolis that's not spelt right to do with joints 

• Admin

I remember, chronic synovitis. Personally, I don’t think you have a strong enough case, as his death cannot be proven as attributable. Others may disagree. 

31 minutes ago, shuggs said:

Hi all 

I'm looking information on how are even if it's possible are even if I have a case to get my great grandfathers name added to his home town war memorial he died in 1929 from TB any information anything really would be great thanks hugh

Have you contacted the trustees/caretakers of the memorial? That would be a good place to start.

Scott

I concur with others here. Unless he died from a war-related disease or injury there really isn't a case for getting his name placed on the war memorial.

4 minutes ago, Waddell said:

Have you contacted the trustees/caretakers of the memorial? That would be a good place to start.

Scott

Im in the process of finding out who they are 

Shuggs,

If it is the type of memorial that lists those who served (as well as died) and you can provide evidence of his link to the town during the war it is definitely worth asking. Many memorials have men whose names weren't listed for various reasons and it is worth looking into the history of the memorial.

Beware though, there are people who think memorials shouldn't be added to. The condition of the memorial itself needs to be condsidered and the costs as well. Often the stone can be brittle if the names are engraved and it is not simply a matter of just engraving another name. If the names are on bronze plaques it can be more expensive,

This is from Australia, but is worth reading-

https://www.veterans.nsw.gov.au/assets/Community-War-Memorials-Fund/OVA-Fact-Sheet-Adding-names-and-plaques-to-war-memorials.pdf

Definitely worth investigating though.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

He received a pension -- cause -- Chronic Synovitis attributable to his Army Service. No mention of anything to do with a lung disease.

You need to find what was/is the criteria for inclusion on the memorial. That in itself should answer your question.

3 hours ago, museumtom said:

You need to find what was/is the criteria for inclusion on the memorial. That in itself should answer your question.

In the case above, it must be likely that the memorial preceded the death of the man concerned. It seems unlikely that had he died before the 1921 cut off date he would have been considered for commemoration by the IWGC/CWGC unless he was satill in service which seems to be most unlikely. Local newspapers or records often contained information about those organising the memorial, and in the rare cases where there minutes or records have survived they often set out the policy that they adopted in approving/selecting names.Like others, I would need very strong evidence that death was directly attributable to military service, to support adding a death from 1929.

Ya I no it's a long shot I'm going of the assumption he was gassed in 1915 and that the resulting conditions led to his death in 1929 from tb 

Assumption!! never a good thing

I am not a great believer in adding to Memorials for varying reasons

Shuggs,

I haven’t thought about this subject much (if at all!). There obviously was a cut off date in terms of CWGC commemoration which may have aggrieved those who felt their relative, albeit after the deadline (no pun intended) had died from WW1 related affliction, my grandad died in 1943 but was never a well man after 3rd Ypres. I fully understand why he isn’t commemorated by the CWGC
The other side of commemorations are the numerous memorials within churches, schools etc. that don’t fall under the CWGC remit. 
Shuggs, perhaps you could research if he was a member of a local church, sports club or similar organisation and see if they would add him to their ‘private’ memorial. 
Whatever the outcome, the fact you posted on the forum and received replies shows your forebear hasn’t been forgotten.

Simon

Edited by mancpal
Addressed to the wrong member