Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An IARO's war services listed with 'British Officers of the Indian Army': a clerical mistake?

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

I possess the medals to Indian Army Reserve of Officers (IARO) Lieut J. P. O'Shea. 

War Service details for IAROs are quasi non-existant, therefore I was more than surprised to see O'Shea's Mesopotamia and Persia dates amongst the 'War Services of British Officers of the India Army'.

Could a knowledgeable Member possibly shed some light on this, please?

Of course an Officer group photo of 1023 Burma MT Coy (Ford Vans) in Mesopotamia and/or Persia would be welcome!GSM_small.jpg.3940756bda52649faa8a01fc8e4d3eca.jpgJ.OSheaGSMRoll.jpg.0b08804b7c4b63e3fd3607ffcdc81a09.jpgJan1922IndianArmyListwarservicesofBritishofficersoftheIA.jpg.961ee5de2952342c0d6bd9bb66073ddc.jpgJOSheamedalcard.jpg.70d2e578f68bf33ccd8b57c27087eb64.jpgJohnOSheainlaterlife.jpg.663b9e231368a5982a7dce78f4e6a469.jpgIABookBLOShea.JPG.2d7c71f3176c0b04c1620d6e787d2b88.JPG

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I'm not too sure of the exact point Kim is seeking information about.

Although O'Shea was not a permanent full time member  of the Indian Army, he was a member of the Indian Army Reserves, known as Indian Army Reserve of Officers (IARO), to be called up to duty in times of war.  This latter group was part of the Indian Army.

I think  his services under the title 'War Services of British Officers of the India Army' seems  unremarkable as he was a British Officer, he was part of the Indian Army. Perhaps the fact that his service has been listed at all is related to the fact that medals were awarded for these particular deployments, and there were these medal records available to complete the records under "War Services"

Maureen

Dear Maureen,

Thank you for your "input".

I was highly surprised to find such information about O'Shea's IARO service.

Why? Because none of the IAROs whose medals are in my collection, ever featured in those 'War Services' Indian Army List pages. Not one!

For example G. B. Goyder, VD; S M. Boddy; H. R. Corbett; B. C. Covell; and others.

Only O'Shea. I found that highly irregular.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

I agree, you usually do not see this.

This is because most of those officers who joined the IARO during the war relinquished their commissions and were released shortly after the war, even if officially the London Gazette notice for them relinquishing their commissions did not immediately appear.

However if they did retain their commission and stayed with the IARO (later AIRO) after the war, the Indian Army List War Services supplement would, if they submitted a war services statement, include it as their was a separate section in the supplement for IARO WS statements - take a look at the Jan 1924 Indian Army List War Services supplement for further evidence of that.

Kind regards,

Matthew

Dear Matthew,

Great War Forum expertise personified! Many thanks for that.

Indeed you are right.

My elusive but decorated IARO Lieut. J. P. O'Shea (1023 & 1024 Burma Ford Vans), appeared unusually in the Jan 1922 "War Services" - BUT disappeared by the 

Jan 1924 IA List "War Services". 

Interestingly, O'Shea had two Medal Index Cards: one detailing his GSM award.

He is elsewhere juxtaposed with Lieut Pyett, MC: O'Shea's Mention in Despatches action and Pyett's MC action having been almost certainly intertwined. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.J O'Shea medal card (2).pdfMCactionPyett_Poss.MiDactionOShea.jpg.e19e41576f4659a29615c990edbb4e3e.jpgOFFICERS244.png.c7bd65bc3f19b38868677701d1112ecd.pngO'Shea Pages from WO 95-5008-1 1024 MT Coy Part 1.pdf