Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inland Waterway Transport

stevewall

I need help please in identifying a soldier court martialled along with a relative of a friend of mine.

On the 10th April 1918 John Hembrey, D.O.B. 1887 was court martialled ‘in the field’ for theft and received 14 days loss of pay. Hembrey was a Sapper with the Royal Engineers Inland Waterway Transport and we think his army numbers were 334320 and WR313525. Why would he have two numbers?

Hembrey was court martialled along with another soldier by the name of R. Wilson who was charged with the same offence and also sentenced to 14 days loss of pay. It’s this chap that we need help identifying as the court martial information on Ancestry does not give any army numbers. Can anyone help please?

He has two numbers because Transportation Troops which the IWT came  under, were renumbered as the result of Army order of March 1918 along with railway  and roads and quarry troops.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

I just wanted to make sure that all those who viewed my previous request for help picked up on the second question that I asked. Namely I need help in identifying a soldier court martialled along with a relative of a friend of mine

On the 10th April 1918 a soldier by the name of R. Wilson was court martialled ‘in the field’ for theft and received 14 days loss of pay. Wilson was a Sapper with the Royal Engineers, Inland Waterway Transport. It’s this chap that we need help identifying as the court martial information on Ancestry does not give any army numbers.

Wilson was court martialled along with my friends relative John Hembrey, D.O.B 1887, who was also charged with same offence and who also received 14 days loss of pay. Hembrey was also a Sapper with the Royal Engineers Inland Waterway Transport and we think his army numbers were 334320 and WR313525.

It’s A. Wilson that I need help identifying please.

Please supply an image of the document that shows both soldiers - an image can potentially tell a thousand words

M

Hi Stevewall,

In your first post you call him R .Wilson, later you call him A. Wilson. Which is correct?

There are 54 Wilsons in the Royal Engineers with an "R" initial for their middle name, 13 of whom have the WR prefix to their army numbers.

One of these has only initials. R.J.Wilson,  ASC 4 Labour Corps, SS/2483, Royal Engineers, WR/509873.

This might be your man.

Same analysis on A. Wilson gives no results.

Martin

Edited by tootrock

Stevewall

My analysis above was lacking.

If one searches in Ancestry for R* Wilson with WR/ as a keyword you get 41 Wilsons who served in the Royal Engineers Inland Waterway Transport who had names beginning with R.

Take your pick!

Martin

Many thanks Martin,

I will have a look at the 41 and see if any one of them stands out.