Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of a map reference

SommeStag

I am trying to locate this map reference found in an Australian's records who went missing in action near the Hindenburg Line in 1918. It reads... ' Buried near Strongpost. Top of ridge G1409/8 98.F24 D33

Thank you for any help. 

That’s not a very clear map reference, it’s difficult to suggest what sheet number may being referred to. Can you post an extract of the document?

Hi Jay it is within a soldier's service papers noting where he was buried so there isn't anymore information than that. He was attached to the 108th Infantry Regiment, 27th Division (USA) and killed in action on the 30th September 1918.

I know that area very well as my grandfather was there with the Australia Corps, which at that time included the 27th and 30th US Divisions.  You are looking for Sheet 62c.

As @jay dubaya says, you are now posting a few of these questions with very little supporting information attached.  Yet, you know this additional detail.  Why not tell us who the soldier was so that we can get some context and help you?  Your first post didn't even tell us about the 108th or the actual date, which is the key to finding this location.

The modern map shows that this was the top of the ridge leading to Bony, which was as far as the Australians went.  We found an old shell at Quennemont Farm on our first visit.  The very beautiful American cemetery can be seen on the modern map, just short of Bony.  The second map shows the 108th and its boundary with 11 AUS (my grandfather's brigade).

Click images to enlarge.  

image.png.c98001b263aeb753ff5d362bc8f61d17.png

image.png.55921661a27194c5b5e8c4a079c3f101.png

image.png.d6bce65a0fd49c13af6c407f8fb1b6b0.png

Would I be correct in thinking 62c.F.24.d is actually 62b.A.19.d

3 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

I know that area very well as my grandfather was there with the Australia Corps, which at that time included the 27th and 30th US Divisions.  You are looking for Sheet 62c.

As @jay dubaya says, you are now posting a few of these questions with very little supporting information attached.  Yet, you know this additional detail.  Why not tell us who the soldier was so that we can get some context and help you?  Your first post didn't even tell us about the 108th or the actual date, which is the key to finding this location.

The modern map shows that this was the top of the ridge leading to Bony, which was as far as the Australians went.  We found an old shell at Quennemont Farm on our first visit.  The very beautiful American cemetery can be seen on the modern map, just short of Bony.  The second map shows the 108th and its boundary with 11 AUS (my grandfather's brigade).

Click images to enlarge.  

image.png.c98001b263aeb753ff5d362bc8f61d17.png

image.png.55921661a27194c5b5e8c4a079c3f101.png

image.png.d6bce65a0fd49c13af6c407f8fb1b6b0.png

Thank you for all your help. I wasn't being evasive with the information I was just short of time earlier when I posted my question. I am tracing the position where Sgt Harry Dutney of the 49th Battalion AIF was initially buried. He was attached to the 108th Infantry Regiment and was killed on the 30th September 1918. He is recorded as missing and is commemorated on the Villers Bretonneux Memorial. We have been walking the area today. Thank you again this is really helpful.

Hope it was a memoriable walk.

On a slight tangent and due to 62c. F appearing twice on the forum today. I noticed on the other thread the map references given in the Concentration of Graves - Burial Return (CoG-BR) were of an unusual format and not one I had encountered before, these appeared in the returns for Unicorn Cemetery and peaked my interest in the cemetery. CoG-BR (doc 2543250) shows two AIF (one named one UBS) recovered from 62c.F.24.c.4.2, both graves marked with a stake showing details. As I mentoned above the reference is somewhat erroneous, there is always some confusion when map references meet the border of the sheet and here's a good example of that. The named one was Cpl. 787 Wallace (41st Infantry) was recorded as being buried at Junction Roads to Bory, (62c)F.19.d.1.4, this should be (62b.)A.19.d.1.4. Although the given description and coordinates are around 250 yards apart, the burial location of Sgt. Dutney was within close proximity of this line and a possible location for his grave at Unicorn Cemetery plot IV. row C. grave 1.

Thank you so much for your detailed responses. It has been a puzzle for so many years. We have been to Unicorn cemetery as we had a feeling that if he was recovered this is where Harry will be. We are back there tomorrow with the GPS coordinates kindly given and also with your findings too we are heading back to visit Unicorn cemetery. Deb from Brisbane who is his direct descendant cannot thank you both enough for what you found to help to try to locate her Great Uncle. The custodian's at the American cemetery in Bony have been  very helpful too in trying to solve the puzzle but your input has clarified everything. Thank you so much. 

We had an amazing day yesterday after locating the area where Sgt Harry Dutney was originally buried by using the GPS coordinates kindly given to us in this forum. The location was close to Quennet Copse and Quennemont Farm. We then visited Unicorn cemetery to locate any unknown graves there and Deb adopted one of the unknown Australian graves who potentially could be Harry. 

In Fond Remembrance. 20240424_120055.jpg.5db4a8c6e5e6314db2fa692695c366ff.jpg

20240424_120027.jpg

20240424_152927.jpg

20240425_074508.jpg

That is just fantastic.  Here is one of the communication trenches he would have fought over and a dugout on the Hindenburg Line in this vicinity that accommodated around 40, with a massive concrete fire step.  These were photographed by my grandfather as the 11th Brigade fought its way to Bony.  He was also at Benjamin Post and Little Benjamin Post and he kept an original signal about 77mm and machine guns firing on Support Coy from Claymore Valley.

The wording above the LHS side dugout entrance confirms the 11th Field Coy they had cleared it.  The officer with the shell casing is LT Fraser, the Brigade IO and incidentally the officer who undid the Red Baron's seatbelt, declared him dead and removed his papers. 

image.jpeg.be4e8b18597ed8f25a679aee0854b43a.jpeg

image.jpeg.9b6bb9f8b912ba165fe8d639c392fd97.jpeg

Such wonderful photographs. Thank you for sharing them plus with the extra information too. It is all appreciated.