Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Austrian Bayonet for Lee Enfield?

navydoc16

Dear all, 

what am I looking at here, I can’t seem tl find a decent reference. Is it simply an Austrian bayonet that happens to fit a SMLE or is it a modified bayonet for a captured SMLE from WW1 ect. 

the original caption just stated “Austrian for lee Enfield” in the thread on Milsurps “a brief history of lee Enfield bayonets” which was maybe a little too brief, as I have no idea what he was referring to.  

im racking my brain and to no avail- I know Austrian police had some Lee Enfields post the second war- but I can’t really believe they would have bothered with a conversion. 

it’s looking more to me like a WW1 type of usage. 

original image is from Old Smithy - so I can no longer contact the original owner for obvious reasons.

kind regards

g

940DB802-C7F3-46D8-B899-E99A9644DE34.jpeg

Edited by navydoc16

Navydoc,

Clearly not a cut-down Patt. 1907; the fuller ends before the blade tip / the pommel is not quite the correct shape / a very narrow band of blueing at the ricasso.

The clearance hole in the grips at the crossguard indicates that this is probably a German bayonet.

Regards,

JMB

As you say Austria (specifically their gendarmerie) were supplied with SMLE No1 rifles in the immediate post World War 2 period (I have an example so stamped and they are reasonably well known)

I wonder if the bayonet might date from that period?

Picture239_-1.jpg

Edited by 4thGordons

Its certainly postwar made bayonet, the Oest.Gendarmerie was only armed branch prior 1955 , as the Austria was divided similar way as Germany by 4 powers. The most real is the S84/98 bayonets were refurbished for using on British rifles, this was done only in english sector probably.

Great, another example I need to look for. :doh:

Good Luck DiasterDog, might have the same chance as finding the last unicorn, the way my luck goes🥴

The first thing that comes to mind is that it seems like an earlier "Israeli" reissue k98 from the late 40s. What I remember is that the majority of them had bakelite grips. 

So it might have been an conversation due to lack of efficient amount of Smle bayonets.

As You could see the lenght of handle was shortened, that is the difference to Israeli Mk1, as that was a normal Gew98 locking lenght, locking lenght of P1907 is shorter, so the handle was probably cut and rewelded or a new pommel was here added. note the position on rear screw to pommel.

18 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

As you say Austria (specifically their gendarmerie) were supplied with SMLE No1 rifles in the immediate post World War 2 period (I have an example so stamped and they are reasonably well known)

I wonder if the bayonet might date from that period?

Picture239_-1.jpg

I mean it would kind of make sense, there doesn’t seem to be any markings on the blade? So I’m maybe spitballing that it is fresh made production.

im hoping it is earlier l- for the sake of keeping this post alive but also it’s not quite my area of expertise 

kind regards

g

16 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Its certainly postwar made bayonet, the Oest.Gendarmerie was only armed branch prior 1955 , as the Austria was divided similar way as Germany by 4 powers. The most real is the S84/98 bayonets were refurbished for using on British rifles, this was done only in english sector probably.

Thanks mate much appreciated- I can’t work out why they would have bothered though- If they wanted short bayonets you can make an Indian Mk1 with a hacksaw and bench grinder. For such a small unit I can’t believe it would have been worth while. But stranger things have happened 

kind regards

g

16 hours ago, DisasterDog said:

Great, another example I need to look for. :doh:

Sorry mate :( me too hahaha 

There is nothing strange as Ferlach firm last production of S84/98 were kipped into sea before they would got it russian or other country  capturers. I assume there was blanko production destined for german NS period police, which remained in storages of police and were reworked postwar for Enfield type rifles. That type is calling Behoerden modell, and is mostly wout any proof or maker marks.

Not only Austria ...
M 1891 adapted for SMLE
(photo from Internet)

rrrr.jpg

fdf.jpg

1 minute ago, Rafal1971 said:

Not only Austria ...
M 1891 adapted for SMLE
(photo from Internet)

rrrr.jpg

fdf.jpg

Yeah that is the fairly well known but uncommon Italian navy conversion.

kind regards

g

2 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

There is nothing strange as Ferlach firm last production of S84/98 were kipped into sea before they would got it russian or other country  capturers. I assume there was blanko production destined for german NS period police, which remained in storages of police and were reworked postwar for Enfield type rifles. That type is calling Behoerden modell, and is mostly wout any proof or maker marks.

Thanks mate I’ll look it up and do some research, I have gone cap in hand (and cash) to attempt to attain one from my regular dealers. 

see what happens if we can get one to photograph

kind regards

g

Here a comparation from french member Gerard A. from 2006 BCN forum. In 2019 i got some info that they went to Afghanistan post service in Austria, question its right as the condition of bayonets is very nice, with contrary of using by war countries like Afghanistan was in last 5 decades.

gaaustriangendarmerie.jpg.685aac5d77842ed3665ab4b2a1c3d38a.jpg

Yes I found one an initially listed as an Austrian commercial contract for Afghanistan for the Lee Enfield SMLE. The condition is odd too but also just the general idea I find strange - but stranger things have happened so it can’t be dismissed until proven otherwise.

Did the member from BCM do anything more with the bayonet? Discuss if it had been sectioned or anything else? 

I have a K98 Behoerden here to compare it too. 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

On 23/04/2024 at 07:53, Steve1871 said:

Good Luck DiasterDog, might have the same chance as finding the last unicorn, the way my luck goes🥴

May have acquired one yesterday, have to see when it turns up 

kind regards

g

Found this little one online, unfortunately it’s not with bayonets mounted 

kind regards

g

04B3DE1A-68A6-4976-9D1E-DDE5A638C89E.jpeg

There was not any details, as this is already 20 years ago, i could store only the picture.

8 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

There was not any details, as this is already 20 years ago, i could store only the picture.

******, that’s all good- sorry I missed the 2006 bit. 

I will post some pictures when mine gets here. Need to get to the bottom of this haha 

kind regards

g

• Admin

Outside of the period for the Great War period.

Suggest you continue this lively discussion by personal message as this is now locked

• GWF TEAM locked this topic