Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conflicting Date of Death

tankengine888

Hello,

I was, at one point, looking over CWGC binders and stumbled across an unidentified fellow who seemed fairly straightforward. I intended to put it forwards as my 'two cents' after rounding it down to one person (who we shall go into), however I have refrained from making myself look like a silly chap.

Lieutenant Noel Goodricke Addison M.C was, per the CWGC, Killed in Action on April 9th, 1918 with the 1st King Edwards Horse and is remembered at Loos Memorial.
Now, lets look at the 1st KEH's War Diary..
10/4/18 10am - '.. Lt N.G Addison left in charge of party with 152 Bde with Lt L.P Moffatt'

'(after 15/4/18) Missing - Lt N.G Addison, etc..'

Lieutenant Moffatt survived the action and the Colonel praised him. Moffatt subsequently wrote a report concerning the doings of his little detachment. Little bits of it read..

'..About at 9am (11/4/18) Lt.ADDISON joined me and after I had reported to he he stated... etc'
'From about 2pm (also 11/4/18), I saw nothing more of Lt.ADDISON who I judged must have lost the K.E.H temporarily and associated himself with the Scots(;) up to that time he had not been wounded.'

Lieutenant Moffatt notes that inbetween 9am and 2pm, the detachment withdrew upon Scottish troops under constant shell fire, possibly Lt Addison's fate? (see end of post note)

The question remains though, there is plenty of evidence signalling he was killed on the 11th April, however he is listed as killed on April 9th? Surely there was not as much confusion on his death as others (in comparison to Gallipoli Landers)

Zidane.

For anyone who is interested, the body in question who I think is Addison is at rest in Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery at Plot 16, Row H, Grave 14, body found at 36a.R.28.d.15.60. 'Fragments of officers clothing and regimental buttons. (Body in shattered condition)'.
I failed to put it forward as I am unsure whether someone has already put it forward. If it is worth it, I may make a post in the appropriate area.

Mate,

If your being doing this a while, you run into these from time to time.

The CWGC is not perfect, and when you tell them so, they don't like it.

But many blokes on this site have done so, when they bring these to them, few get any changes, but it does happen slowly.

Give it a shot, at lest its out there.

42 minutes ago, stevenbecker said:

Mate,

If your being doing this a while, you run into these from time to time.

The CWGC is not perfect, and when you tell them so, they don't like it.

But many blokes on this site have done so, when they bring these to them, few get any changes, but it does happen slowly.

Give it a shot, at lest its out there.

Righto Steve, I'll pop them an email about the incorrect Date of Death.

I will refrain from the possible body identification as I think more diligent researchers could find the real man.

Zidane.

23 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Zidane

Have you checked the CWGC list of submitted cases? It's only up to 2021 but it's better than nothing I guess.

Open CWGC case files

Cheers

He's not there.

If it is of interest, I could post what I wrote in relation to my mediocre meanderings on Addison and the unknown KEH

Zidane.

I knew it rang a bell for some reason. Have looked into this unknown KEH officer before and submitted a case for Second Lieutenant Fisher of the 1st KEH.

In my notes I have that Addison was last seen around map ref Q.30 in a fighting withdrawal whereas Fisher was killed where the Unknown officer was retrieved from

Just now, Andrew P said:

I knew it rang a bell for some reason. Have looked into this unknown KEH officer before and submitted a case for Second Lieutenant Fisher of the 1st KEH.

In my notes I have that Addison was last seen around map ref Q.30 in a fighting withdrawal whereas Fisher was killed where the Unknown officer was retrieved from

True.

I noted that I couldn't understand the movements of the detachment that Addison led. I put down that 'B' Squadron (that Addison was apart of), per a map, held a line very close to where the officer fell, uncannily close actually.

I didn't think it could be Fisher as he was 'killed early on' in the action at Les Maisons, which I recorded to be 1.5km from where the unknown fell.

I'll have to double check everything tonight.

Zidane.

We must be looking at different sources of info then as Fisher was killed where the Unknown Officer was retrieved from as the info I have states he was killed at Vieille Chapelle

Edited by Andrew P

5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

We must be looking at different sources of info then as Fisher was killed where the Unknown Officer was retrieved from

Body recovered from 36a.R.28.d.15.60, 100m north of Vieille-Chapelle.

At 9:15am, April 9th, 'A' Sqd was holding a line between 36a.R.29.d.38 to 36a.R.24.A.22

That line is 1km due east of where the body was found, and runs north about a km and a half.

I admit I have to look into Addison's party and the movements of 'A' Squadron more (which I will tonight), however I thinks it's not plausible that it could be Fisher (but I think off memory A Sqd was withdrawing alot that day)
Ofcourse, what would I know? I've never done this before, I'm usually watching on the side!

Zidane.