Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Jewish Chaplain in Jericho & Jerusalem, 1918 – David Issac Freedman

Eran Tearosh

All,

On the eve of this year's Passover, I tried to find details of Passover Services near the front line, between Gaza I & II, 1917. So far, I found no evidence of such organized services, although I'm certain that small-scale services did take place near the front line, in units that had a group of Jewish soldiers among them.

While searching, I came across the fascinating story of the military service of Rev. (Major) David Issac Freedman, who served as the Australian Jewish Chaplain in Gallipoli, Egypt, and the Western Front. Jonathan Lewis wrote a thesis on JEWISH CHAPLAINCY IN THE BRITISH ARMED FORCES, later followed by a published book about this topic. He and another source (Gouttman) mention that Freedman, on his way back from London to Australia, stayed for two months (March-May 1918) in Palestine, some of this time with the ANZAC Mounted Division near Jericho. It's only natural to assume that he participated in the grand 1918 Passover Service in nearby Jerusalem, in early April (But no evidence – He might have conducted a service for the Jewish Australian troops near Jericho. No evidence to that either).

I'm searching for details about Freedman's stay in Palestine – Jericho & Jerusalem.

Eran

Mate,

I have him listed as;

FREEDMAN    David Issac    Rev    Capt    AACD    Chaplain Jewish 4th class tos HQ Anzac Corps 12-15 (G) to 1 Anzac Corps HQ 6-16 prom Maj Chaplain 3rd class 10-17 MID - for his work during 1917 F&B att Anzac MD HQ 4-18 RTA own request later author "Manual for Jewish Children" 1931    N/R    

Clegyman / Rabbi of Perth    age 41    Mt Lawley WA    Enl 6-10-15    RTA 19-5-18    Nok Mt Lawley WA

I will need to double check him as I took these details many years ago

As you can see he was Tos Anzac MD HQ April and left in May to RTA

Mount Lawley is a suburb of Perth, next to the river, I my mother lived there of years and I use to run into Perth and back again each morning for PT when on leave

Edited by stevenbecker

Thank you!

There are lots of details about him, especially in Lewis's works. Also in some of the Perth Jewish sources. 

However, so far, I found no details of his short stay with the Anzac MD HQ. 

Eran

Mate,

As far as I can find there is no mention of him during this time in the Anzac MD or DMC HQ's War Diaries

We were busy at the time (April - May) and while the main HQ's were around Jericho (during the fighting of late March while in April and May)  the Admin HQ's were in Jerusalem.

So if he conducted these services, it must be while he was in Jerusalem, not up front as we were fighting.

As I remember from my days in Islamic countries, this time of the year, is there crazy time. I almost got shot & beat up for drinking a coke when refueling my L/R in Barain in the early 90's

Edited by stevenbecker

Yup, fully aware of the period of fighting (First Transjordan Raid) and the 'crazy times' you referred to...