Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mudros Anchorage

pete-c

This is a longshot but, if you don't ask ...;)

Has anyone ever come across a mooring chart for the above?  I understand that positions within the Mudros anchorage had designations such as C7, E1 etc etc.

Ever hopeful,

Peter.

Never come across such a thing, I'm afraid, but having, by serendipity, just seen this in another part of the social media forest, I wonder how strictly the anchorages were adhered to?

Screenshot_2024-04-22-13-21-11-239_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg.2bf76d56efbe7ce913be0c4396ba337d.jpg

Pete,

I feel sure that there must be something somewhere in a file at the NA, however extensive searching has turned up next to zero, except for -

See https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12298297 which might possibly (?) be helpful

“Folios 76-92: Report by Principal Transport Officer, Mudros 26 June 1915 covering; organisation of the Transport Department, Admiralty Transport Service, Navy Transport Service, relations with the military, details of the principal officers of transport departments, remarks on list of ranks and ratings, numerical list of ranks and ratings, arrangements for the transport of stores, supplies, ammunition and water, arrangements for the evacuation of wounded, disposal of dead and temporary hospital ships.

Folios 93-105: Mudros. Short description of Mudros, details of fleet auxiliaries (Supply ships. Oil fuel ships. Fleet colliers. Flotilla colliers. Stores. Water supply), duties of chief of staff to Senior Naval Officer Mudros, Duties of Flag commander (acting Captain, duties of King's Harbour Master, Officers list of names and duties (in Appendix A), defences of port, mobile defence of port, repair and salvage work, transport. List of ships where employed how manned and whether chartered or bought.”

Also note AF Wester-Wemyss' book, 'The Navy in the Dardanelles Campaign' where on p.42 he writes

“The surviving officers and men of the Irresistible and the Ocean were now available and helped considerably … … They were berthed on board the Fauvette … … Captain Dent became principle transport officer, Captain Hayes Sadler of the Ocean assisted on shore, and the two navigating officers, now harbour masters, were entrusted with the arrangements for berthing, a most necessary charge since the large number of ships of all kind perpetually coming in and out of the harbour began to test even its large capacity.”

This would suggest a date after 18th March 1915, for any such arrangements.

Michael - this looks like it should prove useful.

Many thanks.