Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7666 Sgt Charles Findlay 59 Training Squadron

Perth Digger

Charles Findlay enlisted as an Air Mechanic with the RFC on 15 August 1915 (Motherwell Times, 24 August 1917) and was KIFA nearly two years later at Yatesbury. Vault information says that he was acting as a passenger in RE8 A3882 during formation practice and was killed with his pilot. The newspaper report suggests that Findlay was a trainee pilot and Vault also says that he was 'under higher instruction', but I cannot find his MIC on Ancestry (because he enlisted directly into the RFC?), nor his AIR 76 file, nor anything else about his RFC career. 

I'd be grateful for any help finding more of his military details. 

Thanks

Mike

Many thanks, David. I do not have access to FindmyPast and I could find nothing on Ancestry. Does this have a full service record, or just the attestation papers? I'd be interested to know if he served overseas.

Mike

Sorry, we overlapped.

Thanks.

Charles Findlay enlisted in the RFC at Hamilton on 13th August 1915 in the ground trades; he had risen to the rank of acting sergeant by March 1917.

In the spring of 1917 Findlay was approved for pilot training, and his theory tuition began with No.1 School of Military Aeronautics at Reading on 31st May 1917. He progressed for flight training with No.59 Training Squadron at Yatesbury on 10th August. 

At around 11.30am on 20th August 1917, Findlay was killed aboard RE.8 A3882 to the south of the aerodrome following a midair collision during a formation flight. Findlay was a passenger in an aircraft being flown by Lt AS Hunt, who was also killed. The other machine landed safely with a broken propeller.

Court of Enquiry 87/Acc/256 of 5th September 1917 decided that the crash was, “Due to collision in air with Lt WG Meggitt’s machine. Pilot [Hunt] cut across Lt Meggitt’s machine. Latter officer in no way to blame”. Sgt Findlay had completed just 4 hrs 15 mins of flight instruction.

Sgt Findlay is buried in Dalziel (Airbles) Cemetery, Motherwell. 

Quemerford

Many thanks for the detailed information. Much appreciated.

Mike

Quemerford

Re: Court of Enquiry 87/Acc/256

Is this from a TNA file and if so, is it part of a series?

Thanks

Mike

3 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Quemerford

Re: Court of Enquiry 87/Acc/256

Is this from a TNA file and if so, is it part of a series?

Thanks

Mike

Sadly not: it's mentioned in the Casualty Form. I thought there might be something in WO339 but nope. There is a Casualty Return in random WO files at TNA but it doesn't contain anything that's not in the Casualty Form. I also have another piece of paper from the 28 Wing TNA ledgers but again it doesn't add anything.

Thanks for trying.

Mike