Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th London Regiment - RSM Alfred Kent HAWKINS

Rory Reynolds

I've just bought a group of medals to the above fellow and am trying to get my head around the various units he served with. They were bought on an auction in Canada and I will only have sight of them in a few weeks time. The auction house blurb describes the group thus: -

British grouping to the City Imperial Volunteers of 5 medals to A.K. Hawkins C.I.V. 10th London Regiment - includes The Queen's South Africa Medal w/Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill clasps, 1914-15 Star, 1914-18 British War Medal, Victory Medal & The Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. (George V)

His number on the 14/15 Star is 200063 - As can be seen he served with the C.I.V. in the Boer War and then went on to serve as a W/O 1st Class with the 10th London Regiment with spells with the Royal Irish Rifles and Rifle Brigade - all of which I think (from the LLT) was in the Dardanelles. I have a number of questions so please be patient..:-

- Would he have been at Suvla Bay?

- What War Diaries would I need to look at?

- Can anyone help with a synopsis of his service? I can't find any papers online for him.

Acknowledgement to Ancestry.com for the Medal Index Card posted.

HawkinsMIC.jpg.49ff6ff36200be18d614cd64d36cea03.jpg

Group.jpg.b82d6a234e0e56a37b9858a8b3512319.jpg

Star.jpg.2013e769546f8fb13dce098f6cfa744a.jpg

Regards

Rory

Edited by Rory Reynolds

Is there any one who is able to assist? Any ideas as to which dates he would have served with which regiment? That way, at least, I'll have an idea as to which War Diaries I will need to consult.

Regards

Rory

Edited by Rory Reynolds

This is his entry in the roll of the British War and Victory Medals. (National Archives WO329/947)

10th London (which from his date of arrival in theatre 2b is likely to be the 1/10th (County of London) Battalion (Hackney))

then 20th Rifle Brigade (which will be 20th (Northern) Bn, a garrison bn based in Egypt)

then 1st Garrison Battalion Royal Irish Regiment (also in Egypt)

image.png.2a143ec4fb93bbcfb9e3e854e01b3a93.png

Edited by Chris_Baker

23 hours ago, Chris_Baker said:

This is his entry in the roll of the British War and Victory Medals. (National Archives WO329/947)

10th London (which from his date of arrival in theatre 2b is likely to be the 1/10th (County of London) Battalion (Hackney))

then 20th Rifle Brigade (which will be 20th (Northern) Bn, a garrison bn based in Egypt)

then 1st Garrison Battalion Royal Irish Regiment (also in Egypt)

image.png.2a143ec4fb93bbcfb9e3e854e01b3a93.png

Thanks Chris

So he saw service in Egypt then and not in the Dardanelles. I must really get myself clued-up on the WWI theatres and who fought where. 

Regards

Rory

23 hours ago, Colin W Taylor said:

I am obliged to you Colin - thank you for your efforts.

Regards

Rory