Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Badge

oscarquebec

Would appreciate help with the attached rather poor photo.

The sailor is my great uncle with a friend in the machine gun corps. I think I can date the picture to 1918 by my Uncle's tally band HMS Bruce. 

Can anyone help by identifying the badge on the soldier's breast pocket.

Many thanks.

george and friend.jpg

Not sure what it is but no unit or official badge was worn on the pocket flap to my knowledge.

I agree with Max and can only assume that it was some kind of fund raiser initiative where in return for a small donation a simple pin badge was awarded and worn on clothing for a day.  It looks reminiscent of a Tudor rose with an inner and outer colour, although in that case the outside was dark and the inner pale, so a reverse of what’s seen here.

Thank you. I have never seen anything like it before but had to ask.

13 hours ago, oscarquebec said:

Thank you. I have never seen anything like it before but had to ask.

Occasionally one sees such ‘favours’ as they were usually called, especially on flag days, and some were even associated with recruiting, or good luck charms worn by convalescents recovering from their wounds.  The latter included dolls made from pipe cleaners, or coloured paper trimmed to represent flower buds.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you that is really interesting. I strongly suspect he is 7386 Alfred Hobbs a neighbour of my great uncle. Alfred was taken prisoner in August 1918 and repatriated in November. The idea of a favour sounds reasonable.

1 hour ago, oscarquebec said:

Thank you that is really interesting. I strongly suspect he is 7386 Alfred Hobbs a neighbour of my great uncle. Alfred was taken prisoner in August 1918 and repatriated in November. The idea of a favour sounds reasonable.

I’m glad to help.  As Max said, it’s not an item of uniform insignia.

1 hour ago, oscarquebec said:

I strongly suspect he is 7386 Alfred Hobbs

A family tree on Ancestry shows Alfred Edgar Hobbs, born 5/3/1898, Wandsworth, London. Parents Daniel and Catherine Mary (nee Martin). I have put their image of Alfred next to yours and to me, they look like the same young man.

Hobbs 3.jpg

14 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

A family tree on Ancestry shows Alfred Edgar Hobbs, born 5/3/1898, Wandsworth, London. Parents Daniel and Catherine Mary (nee Martin). I have put their image of Alfred next to yours and to me, they look like the same young man.

Hobbs 3.jpg

Brilliant spot Allan, I concur with you that it’s the same man.👍

Great research once again many thanks