Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte George Bryant, Royal Sussex Regiment.

john howard bryant

I'm researching my grandfathers war service. He died of his wounds I think on the 20th September 1914 . He was with the BEF Royal Susex regiment at the battle of the Aisne. He may have died of "friendly" fire. Any information would be welcome. His son ( my father) never met him , being less than 6 months old when he was killed.

Hi,

Private Thomas Bryant just back from India a few months before I think.

• Michelle Young changed the title to Pte Thomas Bryant, Royal Sussex Regiment.
36 minutes ago, john howard bryant said:

I'm researching my grandfathers war service. He died of his wounds I think on the 20th September 1914 . He was with the BEF Royal Susex regiment at the battle of the Aisne. He may have died of "friendly" fire. Any information would be welcome. His son ( my father) never met him , being less than 6 months old when he was killed.

Hi,

Can you add anything else to narrow the search down, date and/or place of birth, names of parents or siblings?  

• Admin

I can’t find a Thomas Bryant, but I can find a George Bryant, died 19/09/14. Buried Montreuil aux Lions. Concentration from Chateau Thierry.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2000516/george-bryant/

Possibly wounded at Troyon, in the action on the 14th and died of wounds.

SDGW shows him born Bexhill, enlisted Chichester. Shows died of wounds. 

Perhaps @john howard bryant can confirm whether this is the right man? 

• Admin

Assuming  I have the right man, here’s his MIC. ©️ Ancestry 

From the LLT

2nd Battalion
August 1914 : in Woking, part of 2nd Brigade in 1st Division.
Landed in France in August 1914.

IMG_1089.jpeg

6 hours ago, john howard bryant said:

my grandfathers war service. He died of his wounds I think on the 20th September 1914 . He was with the BEF Royal Susex regiment at the battle of the Aisne. He may have died of "friendly" fire. Any information would be welcome. His son ( my father) never met him , being less than 6 months old when he was killed.

Welcome to GWF

5 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I can’t find a Thomas Bryant, but I can find a George Bryant, died 19/09/14. Buried Montreuil aux Lions. Concentration from Chateau Thierry.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2000516/george-bryant/

Possibly wounded at Troyon, in the action on the 14th and died of wounds.

SDGW shows him born Bexhill, enlisted Chichester. Shows died of wounds. 

Perhaps @john howard bryant can confirm whether this is the right man? 

I couldn't find a Thomas BRYANT either but also came up with a posibility of George BRYANT.  Would appear likely to be the same man that you found.

At WFA/Fold3 there are pension record cards:

Showing for George BRYANT, 8193, 2nd Bn., Royal Sussex Regt, DoW, his widow Mary, b.13-5-92,  remarried becoming Mrs Frederick G HOWARD, 6199, 6390, 244, Royal Sussex.

Mary is shown as having a son, George BRYANT b. 14-7-13

Hopefully these further details will aid the OP, and thence us, determine if we are looking at the right chap - I have to say that the OP's names of John Howard BRYANT do rather seem to offer a likely match.

We look forward to a further reply.

M

• Admin

The OP has visited in the last hour, but not commented on the help received so far. 

Michelle,

You are absolutely correct. My father’s name was George Thomas Bryant and my step grandfather’s surname was Howard hence my second name. Brilliant well done.

brgds

John

• Admin

So is the George Bryant we found your Grandfather? You said he was called Thomas. 

Yes Michelle , George Bryant Private L8193 died 19/9/1914. My research shows no fighting on 19/9 so I think he died of his wounds.

Getting confused with my Father’s second name!

brgds

John

• Michelle Young changed the title to Pte George Bryant, Royal Sussex Regiment.
  • Admin

The photo shows the view towards Troyon from Vendresse cemetery. The valley in the distance is Troyon. 

image.jpeg

• Admin
5 minutes ago, john howard bryant said:

so I think he died of his wounds.

Yes, it actually says he died of wounds (DoW) on his MIC and his SDGW entry also has DoW.

Regards

Russ

• Admin

His Soldiers' Effects Record tells you he died at Château-Thierry and CWGC has him originally buried at Château-Thierry Communal Cemetery. He was evidently moved to Montreuil-Aux-Lions British Cemetery when the latter cemetery was made after the armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields of the Aisne.

You would need to look at relevant war diaries to understand the circumstances of his death - there was likely a medical facility at or near his original burial place.

Russ

And as mentioned above pension card shows Died of Wounds.

M

• Admin

He had initially served in Militia i.e. the 3rd/Royal Sussex Regiment (allotted the service number 9434) attesting in 1905 aged 18 (trade Baker, which is also noted on his Soldier's Effects Record). Father also named George and Mother named Elizabeth.

He only served for 43 days in the Militia - because he had decided to become a Regular in the same Regiment.

His Regular service number of 8193 dates from 1905 so this is all self-consistent.

Regards

Russ

Following is  verbatim from the War Diary, 2RSR, dated 17th Sept 1914, location Vendresse.

“Artillery duel recommenced at dawn and continued throughout the day almost without interval. at about 2 pm, B Company on the left of the line occupied by the Bn reported enemy’s machine guns +150 men to be entrenching themselves on the high ground on our right, somewhere about DES in CHEMIN-DES-DAMES. This position would have put them between us and the 3rd Brigade and in a position to enfilade our line. The Northants & the KR Riflesmade a successful counter attack against this position, driving the enemy away from their trenches at the point of the bayonet inflicting heavy loss and capturing 40 prisoners. The Northamptons dug themselves in on the high ground and our right was reinforced by the 1st Coldstream Guards thus linking us up with the 3rd Brigade in the evening. The Gloucestershire Regt. relieved the Coldstreams. Very wet weather. 2 Corpls killed and one man wounded.”

No killed /wounded for 18th and 19th, so possibly your grandfather was that single man reported as wounded on 17 th Sept, above.

Good Luck with your research!

Regards,

JMB

22 hours ago, john howard bryant said:

Private Thomas Bryant just back from India a few months before I think.

Possible prior service with 1 Royal Sussex. The battalion remained in India throughout the war. 
It could be that the OP’s grandfather was a returning reservist?

58 DM.