I need you for identify the soldier name  served in the Seaforth Highlanders :

p2640614.jpg.f911313909c815949990745e54d70675.jpg

p2640615.jpg.e123b66d587b51a7d8c866ee5185737e.jpg

thank's for your help.

regards

michel

Starters for ten:

M (Martin)    XXX lington ?

The first three words are tricky.  Is that a J or a T?

Edited by AndrewSid

Private M. Turlington.  (Martin Turlington).         Pete.

There are only 5 Turlingtons on the medal roll index cards but no Martin. One of the five however (Edward A.) is of the Seaforth Highlanders. Perhaps Martin only saw home service hence no mic but wonder if Edward A. is a family member given the apparent rarity of the surname, the photo could have been mislabelled I suppose.

Simon

Or of course it may not be Turlington!

Edited by mancpal

Trick is of course that the post card is French thus suggesting overseas service.  it doesn’t look like a UK standard photo either.

Andy

This is why I wonder if a family member labelled the photo incorrectly. I wonder if Edward A. had a brother called Martin? Edward A. served in France beginning 12/10/15. I don’t have subscriptions so can’t search any further.

Simon

Edited by mancpal

Or Martin is a name used by the family only and therefore Edward is his given name

I suspect he is this man in the medal records…

image.png.37b48eebaf9095bb2b6c22feae975698.png

However, I believe his actual name has been incorrectly recorded by the clerk responsible for the Labour Corps records and he is in fact Martin Foundation Turlington, born Grimsby, Lincolnshire in 1890.

Steve

good morning,

thank's for your action.

the picture shows us the soldier when he is posted to the Labour Corps?

regards

michel

11 hours ago, battle of loos said:

the picture shows us the soldier when he is posted to the Labour Corps?

Michel

I believe the photo is actually when he’s with the Seaforth Highlanders rather than the Labour Corps and is taken prior to that Corps’ formation.  His relatively low Labour Corps service number is indicative of him having served originally with the 1st Infantry Labour Company of the Seaforth Highlanders, a unit which subsequently became 12 Labour Company of the Labour Corps on that Corps’ formation in 1917.

Steve

good evening,

thank's for you message.

Michel

Aren't the shoulder titles too small for the Seaforth Highlanders (Curved "SEAFORTH")? The Labour Corps would be "LC".

(I'm not sure if it helps or not, but I have seen a photo of a man  who was originally in 12 (Labour) Black Watch with a Tam o' Shanter with a Black Watch badge but also wearung LC shoulder titles.)

RM

8 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Aren't the shoulder titles too small for the Seaforth Highlanders (Curved "SEAFORTH")? The Labour Corps would be "LC".

To my eye I’m seeing a curved “Seaforth” title but the photo isn’t particularly clear in that area so equally you could well be right.

Steve