The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could anyone tell he what plane this is please

arantxa

Thanks 

5ACCA0F3-900B-4850-B4CD-26EEA7484135.jpeg

Can you show the full photograph?

Simon

Hi this is the only bit  that shows I am afraid I wondered if it had a distinctive look.  Is that two holes in upper wing 

SUPER THANK YOU

As I said it doesn’t show much more of the plane does it 

Thank you quemerford 

I think 'BE.2' and 'DH.6' cover it: both used the RAF 1 engine (an air-cooled V8), which appears to be what we see here. Both types were ubiquitous at the Training Squadrons.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. And I hope you have a good weekend 

I'd lean towards a BE.2 based on the unusual exhaust configuration and the vision openings in the top wing. 

I've only ever seen the DH.6 with the L-shaped exhausts sitting atop the engine cylinder blocks and exiting just in front of and above the upper wing leading edge.  The BE.2 is most commonly seen with the same type of engine exhausts but I have seen a few pictures with different exhaust configurations.  The aircraft in this image doesn't have the L-shaped exhausts (as far as I can tell).

The openings in the upper wings are seen on many aircraft types as a means of improving visibility.  These would not typically be needed on a training aircraft like a DH.6 but may be needed on an operational type like the BE.2 (although I recognize that BE.2s were also used for training).  While it's not impossible for a DH.6 to have such openings, I think it improbable at best.  

Thank you for that I didn’t know about the openings for his visibility