Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private F. A. Fisher 36267 Sherwood Foresters

SAD Burdett

Have joined this forum in the hope of finding out about my grandfather who served with the 11th Battalion of the Notts and Derby regiment.

To be honest I am staggered by how much information and knowledge is available,,, as a newbe I find it very daunting.

In short Private F. A. Fisher 36267.

Joined on 21st Feb 2016.  Last record I have for him was "in the Field" 3rd of May 2017  Both these are taken from his paybook which I still have.

I am confused as he joined 3rd Battalion but was evacuated with shrapnel and GSW from 11th Battalion.

We know he was in hospital in Oxford till January 1919

I remember asking him about it when I was a teenager and all he would say was "it was horrible" I found out later that he wouldn't tell my grandmother anything either.

What I would really like to find out is where was he when he was injured but I really don't understand the structure of Regiments and Battalion and how I can track his service.

Any assistance on "where to start" would be much appreciated.

• Admin

Welcome to the GWF

Its recommended that new members have a read of the Long Long Trail website , loads of useful information about soldiers, armies and how to start your research. 

• Admin

As Michelle has noted we recommend you start on the Long Long Trail (LLT)

This is the page for the Sherwood Forestors

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/sherwood-foresters-nottinghamshire-derbyshire-regiment/

You will see the 3rd Battalion was a depot/training battalion and from there he was posted to an active service battalion.i.e the 11th Battalion

I suspect your man attested under the Derby or Group Scheme and was mobilised to the 3rd Battalion

He was awarded the Silver Wr Badge which shows he attested on the 22nd November 1915.

His service record did not survive the Luftwaffe weeding in 1940.

Welcome to GWF ... As others have mentioned ... LLT found at tab at top pf page blue banner or at https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk is a great place to start - Please do have a look around there and as you try your own searches you will likely learn so much more from LLT and other sources.  That is not to fob you off - just advice on how to get hooked [sorry the GW and research is all very addictive!]

2 hours ago, SAD Burdett said:

Private F. A. Fisher 36267.

Joined on 21st Feb 2016.  Last record I have for him was "in the Field" 3rd of May 2017  Both these are taken from his paybook which I still have.

I am confused as he joined 3rd Battalion but was evacuated with shrapnel and GSW from 11th Battalion.

We know he was in hospital in Oxford till January 1919

I'll leave the explanation of the change of battalion to others as they are likely to be better equipped for research and more competent to do so on that matter - as I note Ken has just done so.

However in my main field ... We can see he claimed a disability pension on his discharge

Frederick Arthur FISHER - His pension index card

image.png.4af4f577f395bf698d2c889194491397.png

His pension ledger pagfe [front & reverse]

image.png.ddc00fcdbe5f5350a3ba4c17c6ee4c6b.png

image.png.ff1131cb50d23cc52c6c56a1d0e100a7.png

Images thanks to Western Front Association/Fold3

Army Reserve will be for his initial training

From the day after his discharge the initial pension award of 5/6 pw was the 20% degree of disability rate for a pension Class V soldier/Pte, under the 1918 Royal Warrant.

No wonder he would say "It was horrible", even though he was lucky to return fairly modestly disabled by time of discharge and seems to have largely made a fairly significant recovery [or at least the Ministry of Pensions thought so].

Wishing you good fortune with your other research.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
his name & name documents

To all 3 who have replied within 2 hours of my initial post I will be eternally grateful.

It amazes me that after 107 years you can supply copies of his service records.

I have started reading the Long Long Walk and I agree it is addictive.

The caravan will be spending a fair amount of time between Amiens and Baupamme for the foreseable future.

Having his paybook and service number I am determined to find some of his pals who unfortunately never came home.

I fully understand why he didn't want to talk about it and in some respects maybe that is a good thing as I will have to find out for myself.

I repeat,,, MANY MANY THANKS

35 minutes ago, SAD Burdett said:

copies of his service records.

Small correction [it is early days for you] - the pension images I posted above are not part of his Service Records but Ministry of Pensions records.

I haven't access, so can't double-check for his, but sadly many SR, and it appears his likely too, were destroyed by fire/water during the WW2 bombing of the Arnside Street warehouse in London [the "Luftwaffe weeding" Ken referred to above] Those that survived are sometimes known as 'Burnt' WO 363 records - from The National Archive - via Ancestry and Find My Past.  As may be found the 'unburnt' WO 364 reconstituted from pension record files.  Ancestry sometimes freely available at UK public libraries.

Having checked in PIN 26 at TNA - his main pension award file seems lost [PIN 26 are only a very small retained sample - his file probably deliberately destroyed like the majority once its use was passed]

Do look out for his Medal Index Card {MIC] and its associated parent Medal Roll.  And his Silver War Badge [SWB] list - for his SWB badge number

TNA is a handy place - this is a good link to start with https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk

If he was latterly 11 N&D then these War Diaries should offer a glimpse of his likely general movements - unlikely to name.  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q="WO+95"+"Sherwood+Foresters"+"11+Battalion" Sadly the second one does not yet appear digitised

That should give you a good start

Told you it was addictive [and not just the pensions side !!!] - you have a long way further to slide and enjoy!

Good luck.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
tna link

Courtesy Ancestry here is his Medal Roll

image.jpeg.0692efa5fddccb08e678841b2c3a5c72.jpeg

George

..and same source provides Medal Index Card

image.jpeg.2f1c7d14b45686bb29b9c02a53eab02a.jpeg