Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Barnes

Roly Hardy

• Admin

It describes his movements through the three regiments he served in.

Regiment first, then battalion, whether posted or transferred, rank and date. Far right is the signature of officer.

His MIC (courtesy Ancestry) confirms those regiments served in.

image.png

If you search at the National Archives (remember to search Records not website) for the war diaries of the battalions and regiments you should be able to gain an idea of his movements.

1 hour ago, DavidOwen said:

If you search at the National Archives (remember to search Records not website) for the war diaries of the battalions and regiments you should be able to gain an idea of his movements.

My formula for searching for WD at TNA seems to work [well it seems to do so for me anyway]

Try copying and posting into this TNA page https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk keeping all the quotes:

"WO 95" "Xxxxxxxxx Regiment" "X Battalion"

- then edit the regiment and battalion number to suit [don't use st, nd, rd or th - just the number of the Bn]

[Also works for Corps if you replace the whole of the central brackets group with the corps name and/as well as the last bracket group to suit]

M

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

My formula for searching for WD at TNA seems to work [well it seems to do so for me anyway]

Try copying and posting into this TNA page https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk keeping all the quotes:

"WO 95" "Xxxxxxxxx Regiment" "X Battalion"

- then edit the regiment and battalion number to suit [don't use st, nd, rd or th - just the number of the Bn]

[Also works for Corps if you replace the whole of the central brackets group with the corps name and/as well as the last bracket group to suit]

M

NA War Diary search page