Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Fry service record

Simon Cains

I wonder if some of you kindly people could help with a few abbreviations on this service record please ( first attachment)  ?  I have also attached some pension records.   The first line is 1st Dec 1914 with 4 letters.  S G G D ??     On 6th Dec 1917 he was posted to  1st R R C ??   Then to the 2nd Household Brigade ??    And medically, any idea what is an L. I.  Hernia ??

He came to a very sad end, joined the local defence volunteers ( Home guard) in May 1940 aged 67 but was killed in a road accident while on LDV patrol in July.   So I thought the Western Front Assoc would like his story on one of their daily facebook posts, but I need to find out more about his WW1 service.  Even before WW1 he had been 19 years in the army including 3 years in the Boer War.      Thanks very much.

The war record is from Ancestry.  The pension cards are from the Western Front Association.  The grave photo is my own work.  The newspaper article is from britishnewspaperarchive.  

miuk1914a_084438-00424 (1) ww1 service.jpg

william fry ww1 pension.jpg

Fry, William Sidney (13749).jpg

Fry, William Sydney (13749).jpg

P1060376.JPG

IMG_20221129_160426196.jpg

Edited by Simon Cains
Request by admin

• Admin

Please edit your post and acknowledge the source of all those images that have been taken from subscription websites.

Regards

Russ

2 hours ago, RussT said:

Please edit your post and acknowledge the source of all those images that have been taken from subscription websites.

Regards

Russ

All done, hope that is what is required.

I reckon your "SGGD" is SCCD, Southern Command Cavalry Depot.

"1st RRC" is 1st Reserve Regiment of Cavalry.

Have a look under Cavalry Regiments in The Long Long Trail.

"L. I. Hernia" I'm guessing is Large intestinal Hernia.

Sam

On 15/04/2024 at 17:29, Simon Cains said:

william fry ww1 pension.jpg

Fry, William Sidney (13749).jpg

His initial 5/6 pw pension was the normal 20% degree of disability rate for a pension Class V soldier/Pte but [and this seems possible for him as a possibly long-serving Sgt] also the 20% rate for a NCO with a Service Pension [though there is no clear note of any SP on this pension ledger page and its rear, nor on the other PLP available].

6 hours ago, Bardess said:

I would suggest left inguinal hernia

I would agree left inguinal hernia is most probable.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add