Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1915 no1 mk3?

billybobjoebob

I am brand new to this form and collecting, there seems to be a faded 1 between the 9 and messed up 5, what do you folks think?

RDT_20240415_0734167354535306852822718~2.jpg

Its a WWII produced rifle called a DISPERSAL RIFLE - when, after the BSA Small Heath plant was bombed, production of components was dispersed to  contractors and only final assembly was done at the BSA plant. Collectors sometimes call these "B Dispersal" rifles.

Usually the last two numbers are hand stamped 43, 44, 45.  It looks to me as though the 4 has been blurred out in this pic. The last number may be a 5 but actually more likely (stats wise) to be a 3 (the two are sometimes quite difficult to distinguish if misstruck even slightly)

There is some evidence to suggest some of these rifles were sometimes assembled using earlier recycled receivers (there is slight "dishing" where the original marks were removed. (see the area around the crown/cypher on this example)

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
typo correction

Agreed, 1943 BSA dispersal.

59 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Its a WWII produced rifle called a DISPERSAL RIFLE - when, after the BSA Small Heath plant was bombed, production of components was dispersed to  contractors and only final assembly was done at the BSA plant. Collectors sometimes call these "B Dispersal" rifles.

Usually the last two numbers are hand stamped 43, 44, 45.  It looks to me as though the 4 has been blurred out in this pic. The last number may be a 5 but actually more likely (stats wise) to be a 3 (the two are sometimes quite difficult to distinguish if misstruck even slightly)

There is some evidence to suggest some of these rifles were sometimes assembled using earlier recycled receivers (there is slight "dishing" where the original marks were removed. (see the area around the crown/cypher on this example)

Chris

Chris, I can see what you mean regarding perhaps the grinding away of the original cypher and its replacement. Do you know if the cyphers for George V and George VI were different - I'm aware there was a distinction between King's and Queen's Crowns but I thought that was as far as it went.

Pete

51 minutes ago, Pete_C said:

Chris, I can see what you mean regarding perhaps the grinding away of the original cypher and its replacement. Do you know if the cyphers for George V and George VI were different - I'm aware there was a distinction between King's and Queen's Crowns but I thought that was as far as it went.

Pete

I will check my examples when I get home but as far as I know they are the same (now you have asked I am doubting myself!) - I think on these dispersal rifles the entire cypher and maker name/model/date  was removed and replaced. With the original markings I believe the stamp was all one (a "roller stamp" perhaps) whereas on these examples I believe the stamping was made up with individual stamps for each element hence the variability in alignment/mis-striking etc

I have a number of these rifles to compare.

Chris

Comparison on crowns (Edward / George /George) - look the same to me! 

post-14525-0-38780300-1430002300_thumb.jpg    1918BSA.jpg.d77d2b1520322abf394acf64793f42dd.jpg  

WWII B-Dispersal rifles (on the 1942 you can see the shadow of an earlier MkIII stamp too. The 1944 is perhaps the most sloppily marked rifle I own - I believe both are earlier receivers fully remanufactured.

DispersalWWII.jpg.35805651d2e4676a565b721d759ada0f.jpg

57727cc7bdf82_post-14525-0742645001282278240.jpg

Edited by 4thGordons

Excellent, thanks Chris - I somehow guessed you might have examples of all three 20th Century Kings to hand.

Cheers,

Pete 

On 16/04/2024 at 02:07, Pete_C said:

Pete

It was more that it could have been any type of SMLE receiver- some appear to be previously made but un-assembled receivers, others appear to be complete tear downs of existing rifles- there is pictures somewhere of a dispersal rifle with the Lithgow stars for assembly process on the receiver under the charger bridge but the crown on the wrist. 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16