Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A. Cruickshank - Gordon Highlanders, 2882217

MalcolmGauld

Good afternoon, I’m currently working for a friend who has a side hustle in military memorabilia, and he has passed on a sporran which we believe belonged to an A. Cruickshank who served with the Gordon Highlanders and potentially the Royal Armoured Corps.  Our assumption is that he was a career soldier rather than being enlisted for the war effort only, given the following details that we know.

The only service number I have is 2882217.  Having looked at this I saw that the process for providing service numbers changed in line with Army Order 338, and that his service number does indeed fall into the numbers allocated to the Gordon Highlanders via AO338.  I’ve attached a cropped image of the cantle of the sporran showing the badge which also refers to India and Egypt.

Is there any way by which you can identify this man and his previous service number(s) please?

A. Cruickshank - cantle image.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the GWF

His service record will probably be among those that are in the process of being transferred from the MOD to the National Archives and therefore there is a significant delay in accessing the records. They are scheduled to be online in a couple of years.  The current fee I believe is £30.