Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The East Kents The Buffs

Mick 63

My G Grand farther served in 2nd Batt The Buffs during WW1. What I don't know is when he joined. Is there a way of finding out when he joined by his service No. This is how it appears on the medal card index 7638 

10 minutes ago, Mick 63 said:

My G Grand farther served in 2nd Batt The Buffs during WW1. What I don't know is when he joined. Is there a way of finding out when he joined by his service No. This is how it appears on the medal card index 7638 

Welcome to GWF.

Would help us (and you) if you could please supply/clarify his name, and possibly a few genealogical details.

From a MIC rather looking like Thomas E RAYFIELD, later 593664, Labour Corps but confirmation would be good.

M

Yes his name was Thomas Ernest Rayfield  born 1881,On MIC it looks like he went to France on the 15th October 1915

Just now, Mick 63 said:

his name was Thomas Ernest Rayfield  born 1881

Thanks - that may help us [Well perhaps others with his Buffs number]

For my sins I can offer you:

WFA/Fold3 have Labour Corps and both numbers on a pension index card for an unspecified disability claim on his discharge to the Z Reserve 20-3-19

8/3 pw from 21-3-19 to 23-6-19 [under 1918 RW that was the 30% rate for a pension class V soldier/Pte] Senacre Farm, Harietsham, Maidstone

593664 seems to have been issued by the Labour Corps approx. May - September 1918 according to Starling & Lee's excellent 'No Labour, No Battle'

M

Thank you for this. Can I ask what WFA stands for, Are these records Available on line?

7 minutes ago, Mick 63 said:

Can I ask what WFA stands for, Are these records Available on line?

My apologies - WFA stands for Western Front Association. https://www.westernfrontassociation.com

Records are available online through membership [very good value for modest money in my opinion, given all the other resources and materials also available] https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/membership

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

On 14/04/2024 at 19:48, Mick 63 said:

Would this of made him a regular soldier, someone called up?

Not exactly sure what you are asking about. ??

I am not that familiar with numbers and their relationships to their service since at the start of the war and for quite a while after there was quite commonly duplication of four digits [last four digits] - many had a pre-fix to differentiate between their battalion and type of service but these were commonly dropped for convenience back then but also creating some confusion then and our possible confusion now - worth reading around this subject on the LLT - see tab in blue banner above.

A disability pension would be paid to Regular/Reservist/Territorial/Kitchener Volunteer/Conscript soldiers - all would be eligible according to their state of on-going temporary or permanent disability on discharge.  This was completely different from long Regular service pensions [though when applicable such SP could affect disability pensions in such cases]

The disability pension card at WFA/Fold3, as described in my post above, indicates, through the fact that there is a payment of 8/3 pw, that there is no long service SP component [a different quantum would have been used if there had been a SP involved]

M

Edited by Matlock1418

• Admin
On 14/04/2024 at 19:48, Mick 63 said:

Would this of made him a regular soldier, someone called up?

The number 7638 may indicate he had previously served as a regular soldier as shown on the link above to Paul Noxon's indispensable site but we would need to know more about him to confirm that he was on the reserve when mobilised. Typically men signed up for twelve years, the time with 'the colours' and on reserve varied but a 1905 enlistment would be recalled on the outbreak of war.

Either way the fact he was awarded the 14-15 Star tells us he was not a conscript.

Thank you for the info. All I know is in the 1901 census he was working with horses,on a farm.  On my Nans birth cert he was a farm labourer that was 1907