Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment Soldier

NR72

Hi All

I am researching L/Cpl Fred Jackson  1st Bn West Yorkshire Regiment, he was KIA  on the 4th May 1916  and buried at Essex farm cemetery.

Any information on him and what his unit were doing at this time would be much appreciated 

Thanks 

Hi,

I have been puzzling the identity of this soldier as I was sure I have come across him in the past. Born at Barmby Moor, near Pocklington in 1884, he appears to have moved around quite extensively after his marriage to one Jane Matthews, a native of North Dalton, in 1906. In that year, their first child was born, William Arthur (birth registered at Driffield)? By the year of the Census of 1911, the family are residing in Main Street, Thorner, near Leeds, Fred's occupation being recorded as a Farm Labourer (more details are available but I can't quite make them out).

Shortly after the Census is taken, the family relocate to premises located in Church Lane, Church Fenton, a small village located to the south-east of Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, Fred being employed by one Abraham Deighton, a Farmer and Market Gardener, of Croft Farm, Church Fenton. In 1912, a further child is born, Emily Alice (birth registered at Wetherby). A member of Church Fenton Cricket Club, not to be confused with Church Fenton Sycamore as there was quite some rivalry, he was described in one newspaper article as an "enthusiastic member,"  and was awarded the Fielding Prize in his last season (1914) by one Mr. Frederick Grason, Proprietor of the Junction Hotel. 

Enlisting at York in December 1914 and allocated the serial number 17150, he was part of a number of drafts to various battalions of the West Yorkshire Regiment and was posted overseas on the 1st of May 1915 and posted to the 1st Battalion. Just on that note, the only drafts recorded in the War Diary at this juncture are 35 Other Ranks that joined the battalion on the 11th of June whilst the 1st West Yorkshire's, in division, were occupying positions east of Ypres.

Regarding his unfortunate death on the 4th of May 1916, positions held by the battalion extended roughly from a point west of Fortin 17, to the north, and to a point west of Essen Farm in the south, trenches located to the north of Ypres in the Canal Bank Sector. Possibly a member of "C" Company who were holding positions in the left sector between F.35 and S.32.c. (Wyatts Lane in the north and Welgate in the south respectively), they were subjected to a heavy bombardment throughout the course of the day, the War Diary recording that the trenches simply "cease to exist". Casualties recorded were one O/R killed and two wounded. 

Upon his death, a letter was received by the Reverend James Edward Keates, the Vicar of Church Fenton, from Lieutenant John Henry Edmund Trafford-Rawson. In this letter, published in the Skyrack Courier dated the 9th of June 1916, Rawson adds the following details as regards Fred:

"Jackson was killed on the afternoon of May 4th. His death was instantaneous, and was caused by the bursting of a high explosive shell. I was very sorry indeed to lose Jackson, as he was framing as a very fine none commissioned officer. His death is a great loss to the company, as the men were very fond of him. He was buried in the military cemetery behind the line, which I am afraid I cannot name at present. I trust that you will convey my deepest sympathy with the relatives of Lance-Corporal Jackson, together with that of the remaining officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the company". 

Trafford-Rawson would be killed fighting on the Somme at the Quadrilateral on the 18th of September 1916. 

As regards Fred, in addition to being buried at Essex Farm Cemetery, he is also commemorated on the Barmby Moor Parish Memorial Tablet located in St. Catherine's Church, and on the Memorial Tablet at St. Mary the Virgin Church at Church Fenton. 

Although I reside in the area of both Thorner and Church Fenton, it must be about 30 years plus since I have visited the latter. In the past two weeks, without knowing about Fred, I have driven through the village about three times in the last few weeks. Makes one think.

Kind regards,

Chris

54 minutes ago, Chris Noble said:

Census of 1911, the family are residing in Main Street, Thorner, near Leeds, Fred's occupation being recorded as a Farm Labourer (more details are available but I can't quite make them out).

Does it say " Labourer on Farm  Feeder of Swyne ??? "

feeder.jpg.cd00987c94e655089d574d8159057a03.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 hour ago, Chris Noble said:

Hi,

I have been puzzling the identity of this soldier as I was sure I have come across him in the past. Born at Barmby Moor, near Pocklington in 1884, he appears to have moved around quite extensively after his marriage to one Jane Matthews, a native of North Dalton, in 1906. In that year, their first child was born, William Arthur (birth registered at Driffield)? By the year of the Census of 1911, the family are residing in Main Street, Thorner, near Leeds, Fred's occupation being recorded as a Farm Labourer (more details are available but I can't quite make them out).

Shortly after the Census is taken, the family relocate to premises located in Church Lane, Church Fenton, a small village located to the south-east of Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, Fred being employed by one Abraham Deighton, a Farmer and Market Gardener, of Croft Farm, Church Fenton. In 1912, a further child is born, Emily Alice (birth registered at Wetherby). A member of Church Fenton Cricket Club, not to be confused with Church Fenton Sycamore as there was quite some rivalry, he was described in one newspaper article as an "enthusiastic member,"  and was awarded the Fielding Prize in his last season (1914) by one Mr. Frederick Grason, Proprietor of the Junction Hotel. 

Enlisting at York in December 1914 and allocated the serial number 17150, he was part of a number of drafts to various battalions of the West Yorkshire Regiment and was posted overseas on the 1st of May 1915 and posted to the 1st Battalion. Just on that note, the only drafts recorded in the War Diary at this juncture are 35 Other Ranks that joined the battalion on the 11th of June whilst the 1st West Yorkshire's, in division, were occupying positions east of Ypres.

Regarding his unfortunate death on the 4th of May 1916, positions held by the battalion extended roughly from a point west of Fortin 17, to the north, and to a point west of Essen Farm in the south, trenches located to the north of Ypres in the Canal Bank Sector. Possibly a member of "C" Company who were holding positions in the left sector between F.35 and S.32.c. (Wyatts Lane in the north and Welgate in the south respectively), they were subjected to a heavy bombardment throughout the course of the day, the War Diary recording that the trenches simply "cease to exist". Casualties recorded were one O/R killed and two wounded. 

Upon his death, a letter was received by the Reverend James Edward Keates, the Vicar of Church Fenton, from Lieutenant John Henry Edmund Trafford-Rawson. In this letter, published in the Skyrack Courier dated the 9th of June 1916, Rawson adds the following details as regards Fred:

"Jackson was killed on the afternoon of May 4th. His death was instantaneous, and was caused by the bursting of a high explosive shell. I was very sorry indeed to lose Jackson, as he was framing as a very fine none commissioned officer. His death is a great loss to the company, as the men were very fond of him. He was buried in the military cemetery behind the line, which I am afraid I cannot name at present. I trust that you will convey my deepest sympathy with the relatives of Lance-Corporal Jackson, together with that of the remaining officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the company". 

Trafford-Rawson would be killed fighting on the Somme at the Quadrilateral on the 18th of September 1916. 

As regards Fred, in addition to being buried at Essex Farm Cemetery, he is also commemorated on the Barmby Moor Parish Memorial Tablet located in St. Catherine's Church, and on the Memorial Tablet at St. Mary the Virgin Church at Church Fenton. 

Although I reside in the area of both Thorner and Church Fenton, it must be about 30 years plus since I have visited the latter. In the past two weeks, without knowing about Fred, I have driven through the village about three times in the last few weeks. Makes one think.

Kind regards,

Chris

Thank you Chris , this is amazing , much appreciated 

50 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Does it say " Labourer on Farm  Feeder of Swyne ??? "

feeder.jpg.cd00987c94e655089d574d8159057a03.jpg

Thanks Dai, i do believe it does !

On 14/04/2024 at 12:53, DavidOwen said:

The war diary can be downloaded free here 1 Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment | The National Archives

Thanks David