Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AI enhancement of newspaper photo

Gisbod

Hi all,

I’m just asking if it’s possible to significantly enhance a photo? What with AI coming to the fore these days, I’d be interested to see what can be done outside of photo shop type adjustments? Is it feasible to get this to looking like an original studio portrait?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Guy

Captain WD Gillespie MC, 1/4 Royal Scots 

289872BD-7A96-44B8-9DC5-E23C8B091754.jpeg.5550f63a973a75e54088e9d76657bf47.jpeg

Hi Gisbod, 

Personally, I have tried to use AI to make images look better but from experience, It doesn’t come out all too well. Generally it’ll focus on one area of the photograph and for this example it may use the speckled way the newspaper print is and en corporate it into the face. It is worth a shot but if you want something like this converted to something similar to a studio photo, contact a professional and ask for their opinion. It is doable but would take some fair skill. 
Regards, 

10thLad

This is an attempt at AI up scaling, for you Gisbod.

IMG_3276.jpeg

Thanks! 

That’s really good, what have you used to do this? Do you think you could do the whole photo? 

Much appreciated,

Guy

Hi, I am certain it was this website https://upscaler.stockphotos.com/upload-failed?reason=limit_exhausted although it may have been another as I tried a handful and selected the best outcome. For upscaling, I would split the photo into say 6 or 8 equal parts and upscale them by the same rate and put them together, so when it is upscaled the AI won’t focus on one area like it did on the one I previously did. Have a good Day 

10thLad

Ah, just tried that and it didn’t seem to do much, nothing at all like yours… 

Think it must be a different one.. Any ideas?

Thank you though,

Guy

Although the finished result looks nice, you must remember that the output image is an image of the computer software's own creation.
Its brief is to create a nice face, with smooth skin, tidy eyebrows and hair etc.etc. there's no guarantee that the person in question looked like this.

The best we have is the grainy newspaper cutting, the AI image will be nice and tidy, but it might not look anything like the subject of the newspaper photo.

As an example of what I mean, here's a newspaper photo of someone we all had  a pretty good idea of what she looked like, along with an AI upscale of that picture. Is it a good conversion? You decide.

This one is https://ai.nero.com/image-upscaler

image.jpeg

QE2_Nero AI_Face_x4.jpeg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Yes, I get your point, I still reckon it may be achievable but maybe with an expert rather than generic software? 

Guy

25 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Yes, I get your point, I still reckon it may be achievable but maybe with an expert rather than generic software? 

Guy

At the end of the day, as long as you are aware of the limitations of the process and the end result, then it's up to the user to get whatever  they want out of the software.

Probably the paid for programs will be better at dealing with known glitches in current generic AIs - they're renowned for things like mangling hands and digits - beautiful women with two thumbs on each hand, cross eyed, and knees bending at odd angles etc.

Thanks again,

But when I try the AI from your link I get no visible improvement.. nothing like your Elizabeth example? I’ve tried all the options..

Guy

IMG_0358.jpeg.4e282568a330be93647e0d31232ba0ea.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks again,

But when I try the AI from your link I get no visible improvement.. nothing like your Elizabeth example? I’ve tried all the options..

Guy

That's odd.

I take it you  get this starter screen?

Untitled.jpg.dc0aa796fcdb9952a29fe594928429fc.jpg

Drag and drop into the box, check the 'Face' option then run. The resulting image has a slider to move across. Maybe that's over to one side and displays the original rather than the upscaled image?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks for your perseverance!

Yep, that’s it and the slider is half across showing the original and and the upscaled image but it looks no different.. :wacko:

Bit perplexed..

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

14 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks for your perseverance!

Yep, that’s it and the slider is half across showing the original and and the upscaled image but it looks no different.. :wacko:

Bit perplexed..

Guy

I'm sorry, but I am also...