Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map reference (62CSW) N30C5.8.

Fabiansson

I would really need some help from you with a large collection of British trench maps. Could anyone translate this trench map reference to modern IGN map reference?

Map reference (62CSW) N30C5.8.

I know it is south-west of Péronne, from March 1917, but have no idea how to find the location on the IGN.

Would very much appreciate any assistance!

/Nils Fabiansson

Hi Nils - long time so see!

I happened to be doing something with my Trench Map CD; the reference puts it in the village of Villers-Carbonnel. I have put a red dot on the exact reference; below:

post-6-1114171270.jpg

Paul,

How were you able to figure that out? I assume N30C5.8 took you to map 30, what about the C5.8 are those coordinates? I also assume once you located the spot on the contemporary map you just eye balled the location on the modern map.

Andy

Hi Andy - the reference 62CSW N30 got me to the square posted in my first reply. These number squares were then lettered thus:

ab

cd

Thus the reference C (of C5.8) showed me which lettered square, and then the numbers the reference within the square.

On the modern IGN I just estimated where it was - so it's not 100% accurate.

Hello Paul and thanks so very much! And it was fast as a shark! Nice job!

Yes, long time ago. Been busy with other stuff, heavy work, sick mother and new appartment etc. Good to be back anyway, especially with this welcome!

Kind regards,

/Nils

On the modern IGN I just estimated where it was - so it's not 100% accurate, you write. Do you mean that the dot on the trench map is 100% accurate? You ought to know by now how careful I am with exact topographical references.. ;-)

Could I ask you which trench map you used and from when? References you know...

/Nils

Hi Nils - I used MS Paint to add the dot on the trench map, so I would say about 99.9% accurate. The map is a 1/40,000 scale 62C SW sheet from c.1916. Because its a cropped jpeg from the CD, I suspect there will be some distortion of the scale, but not much.

Dave ('Croonart') might have a 1/20,000 of the area, or better, and be able to pinpoint it on the wartime map more accurately?

Hi Nils - I used MS Paint to add the dot on the trench map, so I would say about 99.9% accurate. The map is a 1/40,000 scale 62C SW sheet from c.1916. Because its a cropped jpeg from the CD, I suspect there will be some distortion of the scale, but not much.

OK. I understand. Thanks.

/Nils