Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need help researching, Thomas Finlay Leinster regiment, Machine Gun Corps

Fiosrach

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Fiosrach said:

He must have switched to the 2nd Battalion some time afterwards then, it is helping to build a timeline.

And you already know when that was - it was when he went to France on 23/02/1915 as the 2nd Bn were already in France.

Russ

1 minute ago, Fiosrach said:

Thank you for the information regarding that, sorry for my lack of knowledge around these things, I only very recently started to try researching about this, so everything is very much appreciated.

You are very welcome - have a look at the LLT on how to research a soldier .....

How to research a soldier - The Long, Long Trail (longlongtrail.co.uk)

Russ

2 minutes ago, Fiosrach said:

Thank you for the information regarding that, sorry for my lack of knowledge around these things, I only very recently started to try researching about this, so everything is very much appreciated.

No need to apologise. I was in the same boat several years ago

When war broke out the 5th battalion were mobilised for training purposes. Finlay would have been called up. They had been based in Drogheda. But they went to camp near Mosney. Later they went to camp in Shanbally Co.Cork. 

When Finlay was drafted to the 2/Leinsters, they were based in Armentières, France. Approx May they moved up to Ypres, when they were caught up closing stages of second battle of Ypres. In August 1915 they were in action in Hooge just outside Ypres, when they were part of a counter attack to retake trenches from the Germans. 

Jervis

I have now downloaded all the war diaries relating to the 2nd Battalion, I will be looking through it now and over the weekend to try find any information.

• Admin

It looks like he transferred to the MGC in March 1916, and I think the transfer occurred at the MGC Depot at Grantham so he was in the UK at the time.

Russ

EDIT - See a later post by member AndrewSid with a corrected MGC transfer date.

5 minutes ago, RussT said:

It looks he transferred to the MGC in March 1916, and I think the transfer occurred at the MGC Depot at Grantham so he was in the UK at the time.

Russ

Where could I find that myself?

• Admin
19 minutes ago, RussT said:

It looks like he transferred to the MGC in March 1916,

Although when you look at the last graph on the thread to the link I provided on MGC numbers - there is quite some uncertainty as to that date.

Russ

The MGC database is now online at the NA.

the solider is listed here and the information is worth cross referencing with what you have:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/a6288bd7-6e2b-4182-8bdf-482f8bc78ee6

Andy

I will probably head off to bed for the night as I have to get up early to do some work. Thank you everyone for your help tonight and I will be looking through the war diarys to continue my research tomorrow.

With regard to his transfer to the MGC and the date.  I think we may be looking ,more at the below timeline:

24547  Graham   24.09.16

24561 Leitch 24.09.16

24573 Finley

24648 Ramsbottom 26.10.16

24651 Whiting 26.10.16

• Admin
10 hours ago, AndrewSid said:

With regard to his transfer to the MGC and the date.  I think we may be looking ,more at the below timeline:

Yes, I would agree with those dates - so it looks like Finlay transferred late September/early October 1916. Furthermore, from what I can make out from those records, it seems the transfer occurred in France not in the UK.

I've edited my earlier post to point to your later one.

Russ

I have been busy with school and preparing for exams so I will probably be taking my time researching this. But I was talking to my Grandad about some of the research and he said that when my Great Grandad came home, the IRA came to the house and threatened him to get rid of his army pension or else. I just want to note this down so I do not forget.