Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Identification A French Cantiniere or Vivandiere Sidearm?

derekb

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help or comment on this weapon.

This sidearm is extremely well made, and is quite a substantial item, it is of a very similar pattern of the French 1831 Foot Artillery sidearm, obviously the blade is shorter and narrower and the brass hilt is of smaller proportions that would suit a woman or possibly a child.
The scabbard is of leather and brass, overall this sidearm is of better quality than the usual Pattern 1831.

I have seen some similar examples that are obviously shortened Modele 1831 " Type" French Foot Artillery Sidearms, this example is not a shortened Modele 1831, and is of much better construction particularly at the base of the hilt, I would think that it was privately purchased.
My thoughts at the moment,
The first is that it is the sidearm of a "French ‘Cantiniere’ or Vivanderiere, they were women who were included on the official regimental strength of a particular unit. Usually she would be the wife or widow of an Non Commissioned Officer, and was recognized and sanctioned to be the official regimental sutler or canteen keeper supplying wines and spirits to the men of the unit"
These woman appear to have carried a variety of bladed weapons.
Possibly for a child, but I am inclined to think not, as the weapon is quite heavy.
Any comments or opinions are more than welcome
Apparently these ladies, Cantinieres or Vivandieres also served in or with the armies of several other countries.
Best regards,
Derek.

French Cantineire Sidearm 1831 (2).JPG

French Cantineire Sidearm 1831 (1).JPG

French Cantineire Sidearm 1831 (4).JPG