Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20 Squadron RFC

ray thomason

My father served in 20 squadron of the Royal Flying Corps. He was A Corporal Mechanic servicing Bristol Fighters.

I would love to determine the airfield where he was based. He mentioned Abbeville and at one time he had a Belgian friend, but apart from that I have no further information. He died in 1966.

• Michelle Young changed the title to 20 Squadron RFC
22 hours ago, ray thomason said:

My father served in 20 squadron of the Royal Flying Corps. He was A Corporal Mechanic servicing Bristol Fighters.

I would love to determine the airfield where he was based. He mentioned Abbeville and at one time he had a Belgian friend, but apart from that I have no further information. He died in 1966.

Hi

C G Jefford's book 'RAF Squadrons' (2nd Edition) page 34, has the following bases for No. 20 Sqn. when equipped with Bristol Fighters:  From 15 April 17 at Ste-Marie-Cappel, BFs arrived from August 1917.  To Boisdinghem 12 Apr 18, to Vignacourt 26 Aug 18, to Suzanne 16 Sept 18, to Proyart 24 Sept 18, to Moislains 7 Oct 18, to Iris Farm 25 Oct 18, and to Ossogne 3 Dec 18.

The Cross and Cockade Gazetteer of British Flying Sites in France, Belgium and Germany 1914-1920 (Part 3, CCI Autumn 2020), under Abbeville does not have No. 20 Sqn. being based there, so it depends on the context that Abbeville was mentioned.

I hope that is of some use.

Mike

Many thanks for the information. I have a photograph of the squadron all sitting/standing in front of a hanger in which there is an aircraft, but only the radiator and wings cab be seen.

Would there be any available photos of the airfields mentioned in your response. My father once mentioned that he had toothache and had to ride back on a motor cycle to HQ to have it treated. Would this signify that the airfield was outlying?