Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grey Owl

Sniper

Remembering 415259 Archibald BELANEY, born Hastings Sussex. Emigrated to Canada.

Enlisted 13th Battalion, C.E.F. Served as a sniper. Invalided out 1917. Died 13th April 1938, aged 49. Score unknown.

Better known as Grey Owl, Belaney, who had been a fur trapper before the war, became a conservationist and had a high profile, meeting King George V and being invited everywhere . He was subsequently unmasked as an Englishman and was consequently vilified.

IMG_7734.jpeg

IMG_7738.jpeg

Edited by Sniper

I had my father's copies of a couple of his books when small, and found out more about him on a visit to Hastings Museum some years ago. 

John Buchan also met him at leat once: image from: Screenshot_2024-04-15-10-58-34-012_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg.7e23c7ba99c9b519071adeaf2530066a.jpg  https://bluebellmountainblog.wordpress.com/tag/fishing/

Called a fraud at the time of his death, I suppose we would be more tolerant in these days of diversity and inclusion.

Either way, he was a charismatic and complex man who lived as he wanted to, in a world of his own construct and who could arguably be said to have been the father of conservation.

Rest in peace, Grey Owl.

On the contrary, I think there's still very much a feeling that you shouldn't attempt to pass as someone from a culture to which you don't belong, especially if you do it to project the illusion that you have authentic experience that you don't.

Given that Archie Belaney was abandoned by his parents I do have some sympathy for his wanting to find a place and people he could choose.

I suppose you’d call it cultural appropriation . (Not you personally sJ.)

Either way, he was married twice to First Nation women, could speak at least two tribal languages fluently, and when he got back from his world tour promoting conservation, he simply wanted to be left alone to get on with his work.

His wish was fulfilled and he died alone in his remote cabin. He is buried there.

A fraud? Yes. A fantasist? Also a yes.

But at the end of the day, he didn’t harm anyone with his deception. I have great sympathy for him.

It is technically cultural appropriation, yes, but like you I have a certain amount of sympathy for him (not so much for his casual taking up and dropping of women).

sJ

I’ve collected bits and pieces of Grey Owl ephemera along the way. A complex character to say the least! I’m sure I’ve read that Sir David Attenborough attended one of his lectures as a lad. 

58 DM.

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

Thanks for that, 58.

Is that simply a facsimile of his signature, or do you own something with his autograph?

Lucky chap if so.

It's a signed copy of 'Tales of an Empty Cabin'. Picked it up in a vintage bookshop in Lewes, East Sussex.

I didn't tell my wife how much I paid for it!

58 DM.

He seems to have lived a more authentic 'first nations' lifestyle than most aboriginal people do these days - as mentioned above, he had indigenous wives, spoke a number of the languages, pioneered conservation. In my view, a whole heap better than the race grifters we see these days. 

Wikipedia biography

Not the last person to assume the identity of a native American, but the examples that come to mind would be off-topic.