Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier is four regiments

Simon Warren

Hi I am looking into Allen Walter Godwin Francis born 1891 in Somerset. he seems to have been in four different regiments. Is that unusual. 

Any info would be most welcome in 1920 he is living in Worthing Sussex. 

Thank you Simon

Screenshot(1344).png.188085aa24944a3df3e538934a89c46f.png

28 minutes ago, Simon Warren said:

I am looking into Allen Walter Godwin Francis born 1891 in Somerset. he seems to have been in four different regiments. Is that unusual. 

Any info would be most welcome in 1920 he is living in Worthing Sussex. 

Not that usual but not at all uncommon really.

A pension index card at WFA/Fold3 for a disability claim has him also in a fifth - the Worcestershire Regt

In likely reverse order [as the MoP nomenclature might suggest]: Labour Corps, SuffolkWorcestershire, Devonshire, Durham Light Infantry - with these numbers: 68438632942, 38515, 59218 [I'll let you research/sort them out as they differ slightly from his MIC]

Living 26 Ham Rd, Worthing on discharge 18-10-19.  Received a £45 Gratuity

M

Edit: Pension claim with a Z/Suffolk reference - which would normally be his last unit - and this would seem to match match his MIC's 68438

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

• Admin

3 hours ago, Simon Warren said:

he seems to have been in four different regiments. Is that unusual. 

Not at all unusual. To start you off:-

The Medal Roll (on Ancestry) shows, in order:-

Devonshire Regiment 44768 7th Labour Company. i.e 7th Infantry Labour Company Devonshire Regiment, I don't know which Battalion originally but suspect it was in either the 12th or 14th Labour Battalion Devonshire Regiment.  The 7th ILC was formed into 172 Labour Company on formation of the Labour Corps in May 1917. (Starling and Lee No Labour No Battle)

I place his mobilisation around mid - September 1916. On medical examination on enlistment he would have been a 'Category Man', probably fitness category BII.  This could have been any condition from flat feet, a hernia or poor eyesight to name a few.  In other words any ailment or condition which excluded him from Category A and front line service.  The 13th (Works) Battalion did not serve overseas.  

20 Durham Light Infantry 102781 According to the LLT this Battalion was sent to Italy and returned to France in March 1918. Near number sampling indicates a transfer later in the year which conflicts with his  subsequent service in the Labour Corps.  Unfortunately I don't have time to unpick this.

213 Lab Corps 632942 213 was a Divisional Employment Company in France near number sampling suggests 6th September 1918 Starling and Lee put the number in the range 622800-649400 for men who joined Labour Corps July to September 1918

Suffolk Regiment 68438 near number sampling shows men transferred from Home Service Labour or Agricultural Companies of the Labour Corps and posted to the 3rd Depot Battalion  Suffolk Regiment on 31 July 1919 prior to demobilisation at Crystal Palace Dispersal Centre in the ensuing months.  He is on the Suffolk Regiment Rolls so that was his last unit.