Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why and where was Military Medal awarded?

Dee Dee

dI’m hoping you may be able to help me. I’m trying to find details of where and why the Military Medal was awarded to Patrick Conroy of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. 
He was born in Dublin in 1899 and his service number was 30520. I believe he was awarded the medal on the 20/10/18. 

Hope you can help, I’m trying to find out for a friend who isn’t able to access the Internet. He is the grandson of the person mentioned above. 

Dee Dee,

I think it unlikely you’ll find the  citation as most were destroyed. One suggestion would be to search the local newspapers in case his gallantry reached the press. 
You mention 20/10/18, is this the date you believe is when he was physically awarded the medal or the date of the action which culminated in the award? Either way where did you find the date? 
There is a faint possibility the action may get a mention in the war diary but by no means guaranteed.

Simon

@Dee Dee -- as mention in the first reply, Patrick's Military Medal was announced in the London Gazette, 17th June 1919. His award was one of several hundred awarded for 'Bravery in the Field'

(image courtesy of the London Gazette)

Conroy.jpg

From orders attached to the war diary of the Adjutant of 29th Division, dated (not too legible) 23 February 1919. Not too helpful in determining the specifics.

29DA1.png

29DA.png

His MM Index Card at TNA: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6146417 confirms he was with 1st RDF when he earned his MM.

It is definitely a late war award. Worth checking the Bn. War Diary for Sept-Nov 1918: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353566

NB Chris' divisional list covers this time period - his MM award is written after his name, so it is possibly connected to this 20 Oct date/action:

Conroy MM.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thank you all for your time and knowledge, I’ll do a little look through the war diaries and see if that sheds a little light on the event. 
Dee