Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Information

donald69

Hi

I am trying to identify the soldier in the attached photo. He is a relative of a friend but I know almost nothing about him. I would be really grateful if somebody would let me know what information can be taken from the uniform etc in the photograph. I think the photo was taken on leave in 1917.

ThanksIMG_5863.jpg.1dcfa4b5465372432ced5acf03bd9a07.jpg

From memory the Black Watch, 9th Highland LI or Highland Cyclist Bn all wore a similar cap badge.

I reckon that’s right. There aren’t any other distinguishing features other than his Sergeants stripes. Can anyone identify the buttons? They appear to have a flat rim around them.

Simon

I think I can make out the HLI emblem on his 3rd button down though still don’t recall such a rim before. Trick of the light?

Simon

It’s an excellent quality photograph and the buttons are those of the 9th Glasgow Highlanders Battalion HLI.  They would’ve been privately obtained for what is probably his best jacket.  He has gone to the trouble of turning himself out immaculately for what was probably an organised portrait photograph.

IMG_3768.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

That is very helpful. Thanks very much. I was told there might be a Glasgow connection so that fits. Thanks to everybody. 

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s an excellent quality photograph and the buttons are those of the 9th Glasgow Highlanders Battalion HLI.  They would’ve been privately obtained for what is probably his best jacket.  He has gone to the trouble of turning himself out immaculately for what was probably an organised portrait photograph.

IMG_3768.jpeg

Purely out of interest I would genuinely like to know how you arrive at the conclusion that he is Glasgow Highlanders, can you explain please?. Apart from the lettering on them the buttons of the Glasgow Highlanders, the Highland Cyclist Battalion and the Black Watch are of the same pattern so what is the giveaway?.       Pete.

34 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Purely out of interest I would genuinely like to know how you arrive at the conclusion that he is Glasgow Highlanders, can you explain please?. Apart from the lettering on them the buttons of the Glasgow Highlanders, the Highland Cyclist Battalion and the Black Watch are of the same pattern so what is the giveaway?.       Pete.

There is fairly consistently a more pronounced rim on the HLI variant and I can see that in the quality image quite clearly, but I do agree that the general designs are very similar.  I don’t know why that heavy rim might be, perhaps to do with the impression of 9th HLI lettering around the entire circumference, and there are some makers of the same button that show no rim at all.  That said, Cyclists buttons often have a pronounced rim too, so you make a good point.  The latter seem to have been from Kirkcaldy so perhaps @donald69 can say whether there is any connection with that area and with military cycling.

IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3770.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

30 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

There is fairly consistently a more pronounced rim on the HLI variant and I can see that in the quality image quite clearly, but I do agree that the general designs are very similar.  I don’t know why that heavy rim might be, perhaps to do with the impression of 9th HLI lettering around the entire circumference, and there are some makers of the same button that show no rim at all.  That said, Cyclists buttons often have a pronounced rim too, so you make a good point.  The latter seem to have been from Kirkcaldy so perhaps @donald69 can say whether there is any connection with that area and with military cycling.

IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3770.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

The buttons of all three units are found both rimmed and rimless but, whichever unit was his, I suspect the sergeant found himself a set of officer quality regimental buttons to replace his General Service ones.      Pete.

38 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The buttons of all three units are found both rimmed and rimless but, whichever unit was his, I suspect the sergeant found himself a set of officer quality regimental buttons to replace his General Service ones.      Pete.

Yes it looks that way.  Not uncommon for sergeants in some regiments.  Looking at him again and in light of this discussion his overall uniform has more in common with the cyclists, as 9th HLI and the BW stuck to their kilts, apart from the ‘transport men’, and he has no spurs, or bandolier, as might be expected with the latter.  Conversely the cyclists didn’t wear kilts for obvious reasons, which chimes with the obvious familiarity that he has with making his trousers and carefully wrapped puttees look as smart as possible.  It depends on what donald69 can observe about family lore and any potential connection with Kirkcaldy, although by the end of the war reinforcements came from all over Britain anyway.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I asked about Kirkcaldy but there is no connection there. He was a cyclist early in the war but this photo is thought to be from 1917. I didn’t think that he was still a cyclist at that point but that must be the case. Sorry to have caused confusion. Thanks for info about officer quality buttons.