Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 No1 MK3*

Dallou

20240412_143344.jpg.5b5064f63398ce27168d62f39b069646.jpg20240412_141443.jpg.d8c01ee2328f5ffc702a42e02588ff33.jpg20240412_141459.jpg.575e8e9fb90a2ed79c34209ed811fd54.jpg20240412_141747.jpg.0d1cc8c40190c2d17eb359decf613088.jpg20240412_141607.jpg.9ee2051383847c82dc9eef3a30888e02.jpg20240412_141432.jpg.107e4cc71dea0d156b2c209c0a771ef3.jpg20240412_141415.jpg.1b0b23ef6d96d8816b7239addc1d112f.jpg20240412_141336.jpg.bdc4bb1635ccf6ed3f4080b6abe8aca7.jpgJust picked this one up, anyone recognise the markings?

Thank you 

Darrell

20240412_141515.jpg

20240412_141553.jpg

20240412_141802.jpg

20240412_143030.jpg

You have a late BSA FTR, these were FTRd for the world commercial market.  MkIII*s were done in ‘52-‘53, No.4s ‘53-‘54, No.2 MkIV*s ‘54-‘55.  The large alphanumeric bisected by a Broad Arrow, just ahead of the BSA commercial “stacked rifles” logo, is a late style of inspection marking that shows up sometime around 1950-‘52.  Variations of it are found on Fazakerly & BSA rifles, both metal & woodwork, as well as bayonets from this era.

IMG_1112.jpeg.668759973c63de9c96005d217056fad2.jpeg

14 minutes ago, DisasterDog said:

You have a late BSA FTR, these were FTRd for the world commercial market.  MkIII*s were done in ‘52-‘53, No.4s ‘53-‘54, No.2 MkIV*s ‘54-‘55.  The large alphanumeric bisected by a Broad Arrow, just ahead of the BSA commercial “stacked rifles” logo, is a late style of inspection marking that shows up sometime around 1950-‘52.  Variations of it are found on Fazakerly & BSA rifles, both metal & woodwork, as well as bayonets from this era.

IMG_1112.jpeg.668759973c63de9c96005d217056fad2.jpeg

Thank you Disaster Dog, do you think they changed the barrel? 

13 minutes ago, Dallou said:

Thank you Disaster Dog, do you think they changed the barrel? 

Yes, it’s a BSA commercial barrel that looks to be ‘53 dated.

24 minutes ago, DisasterDog said:

Thank you, it is still covered in cosmoline so don't think it was used since the FTR 

1 hour ago, Dallou said:

Thank you, it is still covered in cosmoline so don't think it was used since the FTR 

That wouldn’t surprise me!  
The world was awash in surplus weapons, so it doesn’t seem there was much interest in these BSA commercial FTRs.  
Mine have proven to be exceptional shooters…..  I took 3rd in a 500m match with my ‘53 on the very first day I got it :D

1 hour ago, DisasterDog said:

That wouldn’t surprise me!  
The world was awash in surplus weapons, so it doesn’t seem there was much interest in these BSA commercial FTRs.  
Mine have proven to be exceptional shooters…..  I took 3rd in a 500m match with my ‘53 on the very first day I got it :D

Oh nice, I can't wait to get it to the range, so there rifles were refurbished after being taken put of military service, or were they never in service? 

They were previously in service, but I can’t say why they were withdrawn or how BSA obtained them.  The MkIII*s were certainly “obsolete” by this point, but the No.4 was still a front line service rifle, so I am unsure why MoD would have diverted them to BSA for commercial FTR rather than Fazakerly for military FTR.  Especially considering BSA also did 1/2 and 1/3 upgrades.

4 hours ago, DisasterDog said:

They were previously in service, but I can’t say why they were withdrawn or how BSA obtained them.  The MkIII*s were certainly “obsolete” by this point, but the No.4 was still a front line service rifle, so I am unsure why MoD would have diverted them to BSA for commercial FTR rather than Fazakerly for military FTR.  Especially considering BSA also did 1/2 and 1/3 upgrades.

Very interesting, I see on other forums people are saying to avoid the BSA FTRd rifles but with no clear answer why, have you heard this before?

Thank you 

Darrell

25 minutes ago, Dallou said:

Very interesting, I see on other forums people are saying to avoid the BSA FTRd rifles but with no clear answer why, have you heard this before?

Thank you 

Darrell

Never heard that, not sure why that would be true.  Can you provide a link to any of those discussions?

28 minutes ago, DisasterDog said:

Never heard that, not sure why that would be true.  Can you provide a link to any of those discussions?

Same here. One of these 50s FTRs in cosmo is about as close as you will get to a new, as issued No1 rifle IMO

Chris

2 hours ago, DisasterDog said:

I will look again, and send you the link, just got the cosmoline out of the barrel and it looks very good 

On 12/04/2024 at 19:25, DisasterDog said:

Good morning, is there a difference between the military and commercial barrel? 

18 minutes ago, Dallou said:

Good morning, is there a difference between the military and commercial barrel? 

Not that I am aware of - apart from the BSA logo stamped on the Knox form in place of the Govt inspection stamps.

On 15/04/2024 at 07:49, DisasterDog said:

Very easily, they were sold in the BSA catalogue- not as military rifles. But as refurbished BSA rifles for Military service Competition. I have a couple original BSA catalogues somewhere- if I can dig them out tomorrow I will photograph the pages. AJP and Parker Hale also appear to have received large No1MkIII rifle orders at the same time to supply target competition in the 50s after renewed interest in marksmanship after WW2

BSA appears to have purchased them from MOD before FTR and sold them on. hence the commercial BSA on the Knox form. 

kind regards

g

On 16/04/2024 at 00:58, 4thGordons said:

Not that I am aware of - apart from the BSA logo stamped on the Knox form in place of the Govt inspection stamps.

Sometimes the barrels were advertised as “ball burnished” as well from BSA and Parker Hale. 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

I had this page from before on my phone- shows the refurbished p14s with ball burnished barrels-  on the opposite page was the SMLEs. This is from the 1953 Parker hale Catalogue from memory. 

I will dig out the other page tomorrow 

kind regards

g

124E5321-6CAF-4E96-BD21-4573079D3926.jpeg

Edited by navydoc16

4 hours ago, navydoc16 said:

BSA appears to have purchased them from MOD after FTR and sold them on. hence the BSA on the Knox form. 

Please elaborate on this, your statement is confusing.

4 hours ago, navydoc16 said:

Very easily, they were sold in the BSA catalogue- not as military rifles.

Examples of these BSA No.4 FTRs have come out of India and more recently Ethiopia, my suspicion being that the Ethiopian rifles were supplied by India (since other Indian No.4 FTRs have also been observed in the Ethiopian cache).

5 hours ago, DisasterDog said:

Examples of these BSA No.4 FTRs have come out of India and more recently Ethiopia, my suspicion being that the Ethiopian rifles were supplied by India (since other Indian No.4 FTRs have also been observed in the Ethiopian cache).

Both are a similar question so just in response- I think we’re saying the same thing but I wrote it as a muppet so it was hard to track 

BSA as a civilian company was completing refurbishments on MkIII and No.4 rifles for sale on the commercial market- they sent tens of thousands across the globe to “commonwealth countries” for target shooting and likely sought to sell to other countries as civilian sales to the country itself - as opposed to a government sanctioned military rifle type deal. 

Totally without evidence and off my own back I would say it’s probably not too much of a stretch considering the three major shooting rifle firms were out there refurbishing rifles left and right to “commercial standard” which is very high. Would have also accepted contracts for large sales orders from governments themselves. 

I will dig out a couple catalogues - I think I know where they are in the book shelf

@DisasterDog you mentioned above they FTRed bayonets as well - did them mark them as well? I haven’t seen an example of a BSA refurbished bayonet - if that was what you were meaning/I may have misunderstood 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

5 hours ago, DisasterDog said:

Please elaborate on this, your statement is confusing.

Sorry that was a mistype, I meant before FTR.

kind regards 

g

5 hours ago, navydoc16 said:

@DisasterDog you mentioned above they FTRed bayonets as well - did them mark them as well? I haven’t seen an example of a BSA refurbished bayonet - if that was what you were meaning/I may have misunderstood 

I think you misunderstood, none of what I posted above is related to bayonets.  Would be neat though!

Both are a similar question so just in response- I think we’re saying the same thing but I wrote it as a muppet so it was hard to track

I believe you are correct in that we are talking about the same thing in different ways.  BSA FTRs for commercial sales whether civilian or foreign government, rather than for MoD or inter-government sales or transfers.  

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=55877

I believe this is the thread, hope that helps 

kind regards

g

My response was to this statement, of which I see nothing related in that thread.  (Mr. Laidler did say to “be careful” but I believe this is directed towards people thinking these are military FTRs.)

On 14/04/2024 at 20:03, Dallou said:

Here are the pages, I can’t find my blessed BSA manuals but the Parker will have to do as an example of the period- 1955 dated. 

of note is Parker Hale advertising BSA barrels 

kind regards

g

57D418AD-EEEF-45C1-8988-8C5B0EEA3844.jpeg

B12704B1-6AC1-4CEE-868F-26D5FC0D3FE4.jpeg

D1F3A1FC-1374-4F90-915D-1F3211B66A3D.jpeg

7A7F3932-6993-4DA8-AEBA-3B1704143617.jpeg

Edited by navydoc16