Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt.8189 James William Glenfield Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Daragh Moller

I am interested in the Ist Skins. In particular the period around April - May 1915, the Turks and the Dardanelles. I am trying to track the movements of a Ist Skins Irish corporal from County Sligo called Corporal James William Glenfield, who survived the war, somehow, and lived till 1959 and was buried in County Tyrone. Can you tell me are online resources such as The Wartime Memories Project - Preserving Memories of The Great War and World War Two worth digging around? I'm not that new to the subject but very new to researching it online and from official records etc. 

Thanks again for an incredible resource here!

Daragh

• Admin

@Daragh Moller

Welcome to the GWF

I have created a new thread for this soldier.

His service record is on Find My Past and my goodness he was knocked around a bit - I count four wounds.

He originally enlisted aged 21 years on 22nd December 1904 and elected to serve 9 years with the Colours and 3 years on Reserve

Promoted to Sergeant on the 1st February 1916.

His record will also be on Ancestry both sites require a subscription but both offer a free trial 

This is the link to his record on Find My Past

Least said about Warime Memories site the better - do a forum search. Similarly you might want to do a search for which site is best, both Ancestry and FMP have benefits and shortcomings. I subscribe to both but recognise I'm luck y to be able to do so.

Good luck with your research.

Sgt. James William Glenfield, 8189, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers [this would seem likely to have been his last number]

WFA/Fold3 have pension claim records for 8189 but also record 4340 and 241152

Discharged 3.4.19 Initially awarded 5/6 pw from 4.4.19 to 6.1.20 

Claimed for GSW R Knee 

Ballyfarnon, Co Roscommon and 15a Union St, Cookstown, Co Tyrone

Final award - Multiple GSW 26/6/22 = with a Final Gratuity £65-0-0 [based on Scale £25-0-0, Rank £5-0-0 and 14 years ??? Service £35-0-0

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Kenf48 and Matlock1418, thanks a million lads! amazing to have found so much information so quickly!

Kenf48 - point taken about the memorial site. Not sure about subscribing yet as my research has only just begun and I'm not flooded with cash. But I can see the immediate benefit in belonging to either of these sites.

Matlock1418 - thanks a million for these records. Pension records aren't something I thought of as a source of information but makes sense!

I'm researching regional Irish newspaper accounts of Irish soldiers' First World War experiences under the topics of recruitment, propaganda and conscription. I'm also interested in the Southern Irish Protestant First World War soldier but not exclusively. 

I'm also interested in my English family members in the First World War, my grandfather's four brothers and sister, some well documented (Frank Moller) but others not much known (Harold Moller). Steve Brown, a distant cousin, has researched these guys already but I want to keep digging. They all survived the War, somehow, and with plenty of physical and psychological damage. They weren't a military family but the First War made them one!

Arthur Appleby Moller 1894-1971 (MC; formed 5th battalion Grenadier Guards)

Francis Steele Moller 1891-1948 (RFC; DFC; MC):  Royal Fusiliers September 1915; transferred to the Royal Flying Corps 1916

Nils Henry Moller 1893-1962 (3rd battalion Middlesex Reg; Russian Civil War – White Russian Side)

Captain Harold Percy Moller 1896-1950 (Essex Regiment; badly gassed Salonika; Felsted school): 83rd Trench mortar battery;  1st City of London Battalion, the London Regiment; 5th battalion of the Essex Regiment as Second Lieutenant

Alice Alethea Moller 1898-1993 (Ambulance Driver American Green Cross)

Thanks again. Have a great weekend!

Daragh

16 minutes ago, Daragh Moller said:

Pension records aren't something I thought of as a source of information

Just be aware those at WFA/Fold3 are only Disabilty and/or Dependents' pension records [not Service pension records]

On this point you may be interested to note:  Major Nils Henry MOLLER, Middlesex Regt claimed from 20 York Terrace, Regent's Park, NW 1 for GSW (1) Left Arm (2) Left Side [no more details]

That said it is commonly/usually better to have separate individual threads for individuals [you can always link afterwards]

M

Edited by Matlock1418