Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death penny enquiry

kevin donaldson

Hello folks hope I’ve got this in the right section, I have in my possession a death penny or death plaque named to a Louis witty and im struggling to gather any information regarding him. Could anybody help to try and unlock the mystery of this chap please 

73461523888__D2DB3A85-0A9E-4308-9334-D104C5800773.jpeg

Quite possibly this man here

A quick genealogy search reveals his name was known as Louis Witty 

Thanks for the reply, when I checked the CWGC no exact search, but I checked the name on google and a Canadian came up with the exact name, but no detail  on his death. Could this be a possibility also 

This could be your man -

- Library and Archives Canada (bac-lac.gc.ca)

When the page comes up click on this link for his CEF Service Record......

Edited by RNCVR

Thanks fir your reply, yes that’s the guy that I came across, but I could not find any link or record to his death, but in fairness I really wouldn’t know where to start with commonwealth soldiers 

Thanks
Kevin 

IF a CEF soldier died, or was killed in action, or died of wounds it would be recorded in his service papers & also it would indicate if either/or a Memorial Plaque & Mothers Cross was issued to either his mother &/or wife (if he had either still living).

The pages are really small & hard to read, so I did not attempt to read them.

Looking at the Canadian’s record and he’s not the man.

It looks as though the man identified earlier by jaydubaya is the only L. Witty on the CWGC database.

11 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Quite possibly this man here

A quick genealogy search reveals his name was known as Louis Witty 

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/3048201/james-lewis-witty/

I agree this this is the only possible candidate. His birth (Witt) and census records list him as Louis: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/30188490:7814

Prev naval service 1890-91 as Louis Witt: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/549890:60522

His marriage to Georgina 4 Dec 1894 records him as Louis:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/32039814:8913   https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/935482:9852

Pension card 'Louis': https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/21554892:61588

Naval death register & probate confirm Georgina was his wife (Ancestry):

WITTY deathh record.png

WITTY Prob.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Much appreciated gents for the speedy replies, is it normal for a death penny to have a difference in name or a misspelling on the plaque to the actual person? It’s been a bit of a tricky one this. 
Thanks again 

Kevin 

There is a file on his service record as Lewis.

54 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

If the death penny was issued to his widow Georgina I suspect she requested the name she new him by - the man she married?

I don't think it possible that his widow would have any input. The information would be gathered from service records and the name by which he served. The first thing the widow would know about it would be when the plaque was delivered in the post.

From the Newcastle Journal, 6h March 1918 (courtesy of Find My Past) -- note that the name is reported as James Lewins Witty

Witty.jpg

From WFA/Fold3:

Widow's dependant's pension claim pension index card awarded in the name of James Louis WITTY, 1602 D, Royal Naval Reserve [my underline though Louis seems potentially a later strike-through and correction of letter C/addition] - Lost his life when vessel in which he was serving was sunk by the enemy

M

Royal Navy Registers of Seaman's Services has the same man named as Louis Witt

44 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Served as a stoker for one year and then deserted (RUN) in May 1891 and was not recovered. That would explain why he enrolled as a seaman in the RNR five years later (27 Apr 1896) under an alias as James Lewis WITTY.

Edited by horatio2

From 1919 into the 1920s the British Army records offices sent out forms to the named next of kin in a deceased soldier's Service Record. This form was called Army Form W.5080. On one side of the form there was the handwritten address of the next of kin to whom it had been sent, a prepaid printed return address and printed instructions on how to fold the form and seal it for its return. Also on this side of the form the following text was printed to the addressee:

“In order that I may be enabled to dispose of the plaque and scroll in commemoration of the soldier named overleaf in accordance with ths wishes of His Majesty the King, I have to request that the requisite information regarding the soldier's relatives now living may be furnished on the form overleaf in strict accordance with the instructions printed thereon. The declaration thereon should be signed in your own handwriting and the form should be returned to me when certified by a Minister or Magistrate.” 

On the reverse of the Army Form W.5080 the officer in charge of records had completed the soldier's details at the top of the form. The next of kin then had to complete details for widow, children, father, mother, full blood and half blood brothers and sisters, sign and date the form. The form was then to be counter-signed and dated by a minister or magistrate as a declaration of the true statement of the information provided. 

I can see no other potential candidate for Louis Witty, given the above it is possible his widow amended his name prior to returning the form.

Would be interesting to know where the OP is based and any known history of the piece.

Edited by jay dubaya
added text

2 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

A public tree on Ancestry shows his father as Ludwig Friedrich Johann Heinrich WITT

(image courtesy of Ancestry)

Witty_showing parents and siblings.jpg

12 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

His marriage to Georgina 4 Dec 1894 records him as Louis:

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 

Marriages Dec 1894   (>99%)
Debnam  Georgina    S. Shields  10a 1139   
Witty  Louis    S. Shields  10a 1139

Courtesy of FreeBMD

Louis WITTY seems to have been used and seems likely what his wife/widow knew him by [rather looks like he had left WITT behind him - perhaps not that surprising if he had 'run' from the Navy].

M

My maths teacher used to say: 'I hear your Dad's a bit of a wit; pity you're only half the man he is'.  :)  All the circumstantial evidence points to this being the right man.

Born Louis Witt in 1871: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/61519190:8912?tid=&pid=&queryId=e7427cf4-0087-41bc-83e9-85a34382d05e&_phsrc=qzF16699&_phstart=successSource

Louis Witt on 1881 census: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/26206474:7572    Father Ludwig was 'Louis' by 1881.

Changed his name to Witty after deserting in 1891. Married as Louis Witty in 1894 and on 1901 census as such.

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

I would just like to thank everybody who helped and took the time to research this thread, without your help this would have been another plaque. Im going to print out all the relevant paperwork and its my way of keeping this mans memory alive.

Thanks again 

Kevin