Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Anthony Power RASC

10thlad

Hello all, 

My friend recently told me he had a Great Great Grandad in the Great War so I looked for his medal index and found it. The abbreviation MC (I think) means military cross which he may have been awarded. He was in the RASC in 1916, that’s what I can find, any advice on finding about him would be appreciated. Would there be a photo with his service record due to him being an Officer. Thanks. Lieutenant Anthony Le Poer Power, RASC.
10thLad,

IMG_3272.jpeg

Hi,

His Military Cross citation states:

T./Lt. Arnold Anthony. Robert Drake le Poer Power, R.A.S.C., attd. l/23rd.Bn., Lond. R. '. . . For conspicuous gallantry and devotion, to 'duty during operations near Lille on the night of 8th/9th October, 1918. When his 'platoon post was attacked by a large party •of the enemy, he immediately jumped out of •the trench, rallied his men, and opened concentrated Lewis-gun, rifle and revolver fire on the enemy, who fled in confusion, dropping their bombs and weapons.'

His officer file will almost certainly not have a photo of him; I've only ever come across one in the many I've looked at. They are only files of correspondence concerning pay, promotions, etc but they would likely provide further information on his officer service.

Regards

Colin

Thank you Colin, I will inform my friend about this information! 

Regards, 

10thLad

Best chance of finding a photograph would be in a local paper archive.