Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham light infantry

paul allen

Hi looking for information for Pte F M Brown, 5-2394 . Durham light infantry.

I know he survived the war, i have done various searches and have so far hit a brick war.

Any help would be much appreciated 

Thank in advance 

Paul

3 minutes ago, paul allen said:

Pte F M Brown, 5-2394 . Durham light infantry.

Please advise your source of this information.

Plus any other information you may have, genealogical and/or military, to help us

TIA

M

11 minutes ago, paul allen said:

Pte F M Brown, 5-2394 . Durham light infantry.

I know he survived the war,

Have you tried 1918 & 1919 Absent Voters Lists?

M

Got him I think ... Off a PIC then MIC

Think this is him [potentially/likely a renumbered TF soldier???]

Frederick Morton BROWN, 375442, DLI [formerly 5/2394]

Also showing as a pension index card and a pension ledger page at WFA/Fold3 as 375442

Discharged 24.10.17 - Claimed for GSW Head, Neck & Back

Linden Terrace, Coxhoe, Co Durham and later 14 New Road Terrace, West Cornforth, Durham

M

Edited by Matlock1418
pension and injury details

Frederick enlisted into the 5th Battalion, DLI on the 31 August 1914 (as per his Silver War Badge entry)

The 5th Battalion was a Territorial Force and in accordance with Army Council Instruction (ACI) 2414 of 1916, all territorial force soldiers were re-numbered in 1917. Frederick's new number was 375442.

He was discharged from the Army due to gun shot wounds received to his head; neck and back. (these were possibly shrapnel wounds)

Images courtesy of Ancestry and Find My Past

Brown_5-2394 Star rolls.jpg

Brown_5-2394 BWM and VM rolls.jpg

Brown_375442_SWB.jpg

Brown_375442_pension.jpg

Many thanks for your time and kindness in helping me build up a story to the medals.

Been collecting for years, since retirement trying learn more on the research side. Hit and miss at the moment 

Once again Thank You.

I believe this to be the soldier in question

BrownFM.JPG.6d65d98a62ecb194b7de1e90d82da0cd.JPG

Ray

Looking at a record held on the subscription site, Find My Past, a few days before he was discharged, he completed Army Form W.3494 and in answer to the question on who did he work for before enlisting, he replied 'Messrs Bell Brothers, Tursdale Colliery, near Ferryhill, Co Durham' and that he had worked there for 8 years.

The next question and answer was:-

3. What is the nature and locality of the employment you desire -- he answered 'Any form of light suitable employment in the colliery'

The 1921 Census shows that he was living at New Road Terrace, West Cornforth with his wife, Margaret, and daughter Freda. His employment is shown as Coal Miner Hewer (out of work) for Bell Brothers, Tursdale Colliery.

The 1939 National Register (taken at the outbreak of WW2) shows Frederick together with his wife Margaret, and daughter Irene living at 'Weardale' The Avenue, Coxhoe. His occupation is shown as that of a 'Charge Mental Nurse'. The record shows their dates of birth as: Frederick 20 January 1895; Margaret 19 March 1897 and Irene 19 July 1921. Irene's occupation is shown as 'General Nursing'