Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

needing help on working out what service my great uncle was in.

Historybuff2024

My great uncle Alexander Mclean Macaulay served in World War 1. However, it is unknown what service he was in.  ( he is in the middle of three men) 

his information was born in 1877 to Alexander Macaulay and Mary M.S. Lamond in Greenside Maybole. He died in 1948, aged 71.  In 1915, he had a house at 9 William Street Glasgow, but he also had a shop in Great Hamilton Street, which was in trust. 

I am looking for the regiment, and I can't find out what one it is. Any help? 

thanks.  

Photo006.jpg

Photo016.jpg

1 hour ago, Historybuff2024 said:

My great uncle Alexander Mclean Macaulay served in World War 1. However, it is unknown what service he was in.  ( he is in the middle of three men) 

his information was born in 1877 to Alexander Macaulay and Mary M.S. Lamond in Greenside Maybole. He died in 1948, aged 71.  In 1915, he had a house at 9 William Street Glasgow, but he also had a shop in Great Hamilton Street, which was in trust. 

I am looking for the regiment, and I can't find out what one it is. Any help? 

thanks.  

Photo006.jpg

Photo016.jpgI would say he was in the Labour Corps. His badge looks to be that of the Royal Arms as worn by the LC before they were issued with their own cap badge. Going by the bonnet he most likely served in a Scottish infantry regiment originally and was probably medically downgraded.     Pete.

I’m no expert but it doesn’t look like the RSF cap badge to me, that said I can’t name an alternative. Would the style of headwear help narrow it down at all? 
I did notice that he wears a single overseas service chevron (dating the photo to after Dec 1917) and it appears a mourning button also, do you know if he lost a close relative in the conflict?

Simon

If the cap badge is ASC then there are several other possibilities in the medal index cards, including an Alexander MacAuley who served with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders as 16029, before serving with the ASC as M/404831, as well as the Alexander MacAuley who only served with the ASC in a theatre of war, but who could have just as easily had home service with a Scottish regiment beforehand, his service number with the ASC being Misr/962. The latter appears to have been awarded a Silver War Badge, as he has two medal index cards, the second giving his date of enlistment as 28 September 1914, and his discharge date as 19 June 1918. Despite enlisting on the outbreak of war he was only entitled to the British War and Victory Medals, so had no overseas service before the end of 1915.

I must say that the individual in the photograph looks considerably younger than someone who was born in 1877, and would have been 37 on the outbreak of war.

…. and 41 by the earliest time the group shot could have been taken.

Simon

The subject looks to me also to be wearing a general service cap badge on a Tam-o-Shanter bonnet and I agree with Corporal Punishment that it is almost certainly therefore a soldier of the Labour Corps who was previously with a Scottish infantry regiment, either with an infantry labour company, or simply from a line battalion and subsequently downgraded for medical reasons.

IMG_3767.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

This man has a medical admissions record on Find My Past -- admitted on the 28/9/1915 to 2 General Hospital as a 23 year old -- gives a birth year of circa 1892

Hi all apologies for not replying been busy and also forgot my log in 😂. I have used a software called topaz sharpen AI this is the best I’m going to get with a not scanned photo. 

IMG_5129.jpeg

Having looked at this photo I am of the understanding from my eyes of seeing antlers now this could completely narrow it down here’s hoping! Thank you guys again I will keep pushing on with it and please keep spit balling ideas ! 

Just now, Historybuff2024 said:

Hi all apologies for not replying been busy and also forgot my log in 😂. I have used a software called topaz sharpen AI this is the best I’m going to get with a not scanned photo. 

IMG_5129.jpeg

15 hours ago, Historybuff2024 said:

IMG_5129.jpeg

Having looked at this photo I am of the understanding from my eyes of seeing antlers now this could completely narrow it down here’s hoping! Thank you guys again I will keep pushing on with it and please keep spit balling ideas ! 

Labour Corps.        Pete.

Not being able to identify the cap badge and not see beyond the FMP links above, and thus not able to determine if he has been considered before, I'm pitching in with a punt for this Alexander MACAULEY pretty much only because he has a Glasgow address on his disability pension card [I'm using WFA/Fold3 below] - I note he has also been suggested above.

Alexander MACAULEY, M1/SR/962, Army Service Corps, 996 Gt Western Road, Glasgow - Under the 1918 RW for a pension Class V soldier/Pte he was awarded 70% disability rate of 19/3 pw 20.6.18 to 24.9.18 = Does the address help? Was your GU known to have had a short-term serious wound and/or on-going disability?

He also has a:

• SWB MIC as M1SR/962Enlist 28-9-14, Discharged 19-6-18, Wound(s)
  • 1914-15 Star MIC as T1SR/962 - France from 24.8.15
  • BWM & VM MIC as M1SR/962

???

M

Edit: I'm talking his number as starting M1 or T1 [rather then perhaps MI or TI, since to me those would not seem correct ??]

Edited by Matlock1418
edit